Systems Engineer ( R-00066546 )
The Federal Health Operation has an opening for a Systems Engineer for a DoD customer, located at Ft. Detrick, MD. Position is with a DoD Acquisition Enterprise Information Technology (IT) Project Management Office (PMO), supporting Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulated medical research and acquisition. Candidate will work for the Chief Systems Engineer on the project, but is expected to work independently with government contract leadership and major customers to accomplish assignments.
The Systems Engineer is responsible for maintaining and updating Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) artifacts, technical planning, system hardware-software-network design and systems integration for the eIT PMO. Candidate will evaluate solution alternatives including cost and risk, supportability and analyses for total systems. Duties will include system analysis, analysis of alternatives for COTS solution selection, requirements analysis, and systems integration.
The Systems Engineer follows DoD/Army/DHA and local IT governance and guidance and will use their knowledge of the current IT marketplace and design principles to identify technical solutions that the eIT PMO will then deploy to support the command’s mission. The Systems Engineer is part of both the planning and execution teams on the project to identify and analyze solutions, as well as recommend and execute the process to implement them in the eIT PMO environment. The Systems Engineer will work with Chief Systems Engineer for high level planning as well as with the System Administrators to implement technical solutions.
- Perform Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) SysML/UML activities to identify requirements, use cases, activities, and interfaces for Medical IT applications
- Document system designs and produce System Engineering artifacts including, but not limited to: Trade Studies, Analysis of Alternatives (AoA), Performance, Risk, and Cost Assessments, System Design Documents, Implementation Plans, Interface Control Documents, Solutions Review Briefings, CONOPS Documentation, etc.
- Establish system design and functionality models and documentation
- Translate operational concepts/ideas into technical specifications
- Support systems/environment solutions for multiple projects with varying schedules and interface with vendors for solution of trouble calls
- Interact with peers on a daily basis and during review board meetings, interaction with customers and/or function peer group leads and managers
- Investigates and gains knowledge on new methods and technologies. Particularly relating to the application of technology to the field of Medical Research
- Assist the Chief Systems Engineer in delivering services and capabilities that fulfill the eIT PMO’s strategic plan and the needs of our customers
- Work to meet scheduled milestones and deliverables in the Integrated Master Schedule
SECONDARY AND/OR MORE SPECIFIC DUTIES:
- Be enthusiastic to meet the customers’ needs
- Track and provide integration engineering support for vendor software releases and security patches
- Engineer the system upgrade process and data migration plan in conjunction with the Systems Engineering and Architecture Team and the Operations Team
- Coordinate documentation of all system technical configurations
- Proactively review operational system designs and system operations for problems and work with the operations Team to resolve
- Collaboratively identify areas of opportunity within the portfolio’s service offerings and capabilities
- Work with external service providers on solution design and service adoption and integration.
- Bachelor’s Degree or relevant formal accreditation related to IT services and support is required.
- Minimum 4 years Systems Engineering experience
- Minimum of 2 years experience with MBSE (SysML/UML, DoDAF)
- Hands-on experience using a Systems Engineering tool such as: Sparx Enterprise Architect, IBM Rhapsody, MagicDraw, Cameo, etc.
- Functional experience/understanding in networking, virtualization, cloud, and/or databases
- Present design/solutions to leadership and customers
- Be able to document as is and to-be design models in appropriate tools.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are a must in order to interface with multiple teams on business and information management processes.
- Be self-motivated to discover new industry related technologies and solution models
- Excellent English, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be able to work independently following a brief period of specific technical training, and also be a strong team player.
- Be detail oriented and demonstrate the ability to absorb and clearly document complex problems.
- U.S. Citizen
- Able to Obtain DoD Public Trust clearance.
- Familiarity with Sparx Enterprise Architect
- Experience in identifying, architecting, and recommending technical solutions
- Certified in one or more: INCOSE, OMG SySML, ITIL
- Experience in an Agile environment
- Generated content and/or presented at SRR’s, PDR’s, CDR’s, etc.