Sr Linux Systems Engineer ( 564143-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
You will help build out, maintain, and troubleshoot our rapidly expanding infrastructure. You will be part of a talented team of software and systems engineers that demonstrate superb technical competency, delivering mission critical infrastructure and ensuring the highest levels of availability, performance, and security. This position requires strong technical skills in areas of Linux system administration, networking, and application deployment/maintenance.
- Install, configure, test, and maintain operating systems, application software, and system management tools.
- Manage and monitor all installed systems and infrastructure.
- Collaborate with software engineering teams on project deliverables – including helping build and maintain development/testing/lab environments.
- Mentor, provide technical guidance and assistance to other Systems Engineers and Administrators.
- Document complex procedures and troubleshooting practices related to systems/networks/software/hardware.
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability.
- Participate in application performance testing – monitoring for potential bottlenecks and other application issues (CPU, Memory, etc.); identify potential solutions, and work with developers/testers to implement those fixes.
- Write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on tasks.
- Coordinate and communicate with NOC; provide Tier-2 and Tier-3 level support.
- Contribute to and maintain systems standards/best practices.
Where you'll be working...
In this worksite-based role, you'll work onsite at a defined location(s).
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with Linux system administration – including testing building/provisioning large-scale physical and/or virtual environments.
- Solid experience in the administration and performance tuning of application stacks (Java, Tomcat).
- Experience with monitoring systems.
- Experience with system automation software (Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, etc.)
- Must be able to pass an extensive background investigation as a condition of employment.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Working knowledge of Big Data technologies experience such as Hadoop/HBase/SOLR; experience with Cloudera.
- Database administration experience with standard relational databases such as MySQL/MariaDB, Postgres.
- Solid scripting skills (e.g. shell scripts, Perl, Python).
- Ability to evaluate security requirements and perform system hardening.
- Experience with the administration of one or multiple components of Atlassian suite (JIRA, Confluence, etc.)
- Knowledge of IT security practices and ensuring key system controls are in place.
- Ability to multitask and function in a fast-paced environment.
- Networking knowledge (network layers, TCP/IP, Firewalls, IPsec).
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).