Principal Systems Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
You will be responsible for the design and implementation of complex systems as well as managing system health, performance, and security. You will be involved with project managers and other technical leaders to define project scope, including planning, organizing, and directing the work of other engineers. Other responsibilities include:
- Conduct system design activities involving servers, network devices, and software.
- Guide system integration involving hardware, software, network, and database systems.
- Work with project managers and peers to understand and solve challenging technical problems; provide technical solutions with effort estimates.
- Conduct research on new technologies in the field of systems development and infrastructure management; create and develop plans for investing in such systems that will increase cost effectiveness and flexibility.
- Define, develop, maintain new standards within existing infrastructure; promote new and emerging technologies within the organization.
- Investigate and implement opportunities to apply machine learning infrastructure to optimize the operational environment.
- Work on continuous improvement of the environment through new tools for automation, monitoring, and rapid deployment.
- Diagnose, analyze and resolve complex problems including interoperability issues, issues caused by hardware or software.
- Mentor/delegate work to other Systems Engineers.
Where you'll be working...
In this worksite-based role, you'll work onsite at a defined location, Ashburn, VA.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Proven experience developing strategic system architecture plans.
- Must be able to pass an extensive background investigation as a condition of employment.
- Willingness to travel up to 10%
Even better if you have:
- College degree in relevant engineering field, or exceptional hands-on system engineering experience over extended period of time Experience managing vendor relationships.
- Twelve or more years of experience in Linux system administration- including building/provisioning large scale physical and virtual environments
- Exceptional communication skills – being able to effectively communicate to a variety of stakeholders and the ability to convey complex technical information in a way that others can understand.
- Problem solving skills – provide efficient and effective troubleshooting of technical issues that arise.
- Critical thinking skills – the ability to analyze situations and help make important decisions related to the IT infrastructure.
- Solid coding and/or scripting skills (for example: Python, Shell).
- Knowledge of industry best practices for Linux server security; ability to implement organizational security standards on Linux platforms.
- Proven track record in prioritizing and executing tasks.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code.
- Experience with the following technologies/tools: Docker/Kubernetes, Elastic Search, ELK, Postfix, BIND, VMWare/vSphere, PowerShell, PowerCLI.
- Experience working with DNS and SMTP in a carrier environment.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP networking and working knowledge of IP networks and devices including routers, switches, load balancers, and firewalls.
- Database administration experience with standard relational databases or Big Data technologies such as Hadoop/HBase/Solr.
- Experience with automation software (for example: Vagrant, Puppet, Ansible, Chef).
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.