Principal Systems Engineer - IOT ( 578157-1G )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is a leading provider of technology, communications, information and entertainment products, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our ambition and united in our shared purpose to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon is looking for a Service Assurance Engineer to be responsible for performing the engineering, operations and support of highly available IoT applications and end-to-end services that consist of components located in a variety of internal and external physical, virtual and cloud environments. You will provide deep expertise and leadership as a subject matter expert into the applications, systems and technologies that make up end-to-end IoT services. You will operate independently, working across disparate functional groups to analyze IoT offerings, interfaces, service and application call flows and be a stakeholder in roadmaps and planning. Additionally, as a subject matter expert you will develop tools, monitors and alerts based on IoT service KPIs and drive technical and operational enhancements. You will use coding expertise to create tools, dashboards and data correlations that support internal and external teams as needed. The scope of the role includes having an ownership mentality over IoT services to drive cross collaborative work groups to create plans and execute tasks in order to meet overall team objectives designed to improve e2e IoT service availability and performance for our customers.
- Resolving IoT application and end-to-end service impacting events on a 24x7x365 basis as the SME familiar with the end-to-end call flows, engaging downstream teams as needed.
- Analyzing the root cause of IoT application, network and end-to-end service impacting events to define and track corrective action plans to address across supporting internal 8teams and organizations and external vendors.
- Identifying gaps and implementing proactive automated approaches using software and web development skills to create tools, monitors, alerts and orchestration in support of IoT service availability and performance KPIs
- Monitoring end-to-end service KPI’s and alerts, analyzing trends and anomalies and collaborating with product and development teams to address existing and potential performance and scalability issues.
- Managing IoT application, network and service production change schedules and activities to ensure that service is not impacted and notifications are sent as required.
- Participating in IoT application, network and service design activities to ensure they meet availability, performance and scalability requirements.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Six or more years of related work experience.
- Experience with systems engineering and coding/scripting/web automation.
- Experience in delivering roadmaps and optimizing service delivery by continually assessing operations, applications, policies, processes and compliance frameworks.
- Willingness to travel up to 25%.
Even better if you have:
- A degree.
- Six or more years of systems engineering and software development experience.
- Experience with troubleshooting tools, trace & log file analysis tools.
- Specific IoT knowledge and work experience including an understanding of the unique service requirements as well as the technology requirements related to device and network technology of B2B IoT customers.
- Strong leadership, communication, collaboration and teamwork skills.
- Ability to drive teams across different functional areas towards aligned objectives/goals that lead to measurable results.
- Strong initiative/project planning, management and execution skills.
- Experience in disaster recovery, business continuity, risk identification and mitigation strategies
- Knowledge of KPI tools including Netscout, SevOne, and IrisView.
- Knowledge of LTE, IMS, VoLTE and IoT connectivity and provisioning call flows.
- Knowledge of 3gpp standards, particularly those used in IoT devices and call flows.
- Certifications in development, security, network or systems technologies.
- Knowledge of design principles of cloud architecture and how applications operate in a cloud environment.
- Knowledge of OSI model and Networking terminology.
- Experience with ITIL framework, agile methodology and business transformation.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).