Senior Infrastructure Engineer, Systems-Linux (101460)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.Primary Role
The Senior Infrastructure Engineer – Systems-Linux will be primary responsible for the evolution of the Linux environments while managing and optimizing the current environment. This person will have a balanced mix of big-picture thinking while driving operational excellence. This person will participate as an effective member of a passionate, highly skilled, collaborative team that supports American Water's information security policies and meets all relevant compliance requirements. Our ideal candidate will have experience with Linux file systems, file system hierarchy, managing root/super user, basic Bash command, and handling file, directories and users.Knowledge/Skills
- Overseeing our managed service provider who maintains:
- Requests inclusive to DNS, RADIUS, Apache, MySQL, PHP.
- Regular back up of data, create new stored procedures and listing back-up is one of the duties.
- Analyzing all error logs and fixing along with providing excellent customer support for Webhosting, ISP and LAN Customers on troubleshooting increased support troubles.
- Enhance, maintain and creating the tools for the Linux environment and its users.
- Detecting and solving the service problems ranging from disaster recovery to login problems.
- Installing the necessary systems and security tools. Working with the Data Network Engineer and other personnel/departments to analyze hardware requirements and makes acquiring recommendations.
- Troubleshoot, when the problem occurs in the server.
- Roadmap and upgrade activities as a part of our life cycle refreshes.
- Communicating with the staff, vendors, and customers in a cultivated, professional manner at all times has to be one of your characteristics.
- Five (5) plus years experience / knowledge in information technology with an emphasis on Linux platform and related systems dependencies (virtualization, storage, data protection
- Soft Skills
- Experience in leadership with a proven track record for delivering desired outcomes while fostering a culture of teamwork, collaboration, innovation and talent development
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for a wide variety of audiences including proven ability to deliver conference presentations
- Strong decision making ability and flexibility to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity, and rapid change
- Demonstrated ability to lead through influence and to deliver results through others while overcoming obstacles to success
- Should possess a high energy level, sense of urgency, decisiveness, and an ability to work well under pressure
- Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Technology or relevant field of Engineering or related experience.
- GCUX – GIAC Certified Unix Security Administrator.
- Linux+ CompTIA.
- LPI (Linux Professional Institute)
- LFCS (Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator)
- LFCE (Linux Foundation Certified Engineer)
- Red Hat Level.
- Indoor office environment
- Travel Requirements
- As necessary, up to 15%.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because they are an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.