Principal 5G Core Systems Engineer ( 582222-1N )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The qualified candidate will join the 4G & 5G Wireless Core Network team and will be responsible to design subscriber services, drive system design / evolution and create end to end solutions to meet business and customer needs.You will be a subject matter expert for Service Engineering a subset of the new 5G Standalone Core specifically Subscriber Authorization and Database Service Engineering (AUSF, UDM, and UDR).You will be responsible for the introduction, integration, engineering and optimizing these systems into the new 5G Standalone Core.
Service Engineering ensures that the design, functionality/features, flexibility and internal capabilities of our solutions / designs includes the technology needed to deliver immediate and future solutions to solve business requirements while ensuring the solution is Network friendly.
- Be a subject matter expert and drive 5G Core Network Functions (AUSF, UDM, UDR) system architecture and features to enhance system capabilities, reliabilities and time to market to support network and business initiatives.
- Be a subject matter expert and drive Verizon Subscriber Authorization and Database interfaces specification for the specific 5G Core Functions (AUSF, UDM, UDR).
- Provide technical insights in Subscriber Authorization and Database design solutions.
- Design, develop, evaluate and verify solutions to support business needs and requirements.
- Support virtualization and orchestration architecture design the AUSF, UDM and UDR.
- Research, identify and develop solution to support new business initiative.
- Align with other teams to manage vendor relationships on software releases and new feature delivery.
- Create end to end technical requirements and call flows for 5G Subscriber Services.
- Author and collaborate on technical requirements, high level design, detailed design and other applicable engineering documents.
- Identify and promote new business opportunity leveraging the capabilities of the new 5G Standalone Core to improve customer experiences and enhance customer experience.
- Support end-to-end organizational alignment between different organizations and business stakeholders to ensure feasible implementation and successful market launch.
- Stay abreast of new technologies that may offer Verizon significant technical and/or financial benefit now or in the future.
- Work with vendors for their software development, developing IT requirements and the production implementation approach, including First Office Application (FOA) followed by network wide rollout.
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience working with mobile wireless network within telecommunication industry.
- Experience in system/service engineering.
- Experience in 4G Network Systems (e.g., AAA, HSS, Subscriber Data Management, etc.).
- Working experience with 5G / 4G Core.
- Willingness to travel.
Even better if you have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in EE, CE or CS.
- Technical experience in designing complex solutions, aligning network resources, launching product/service successfully and managing vendors.
- Excellent knowledge in 3GPP standards and protocols: 5G, LTE, TCP/IP, DIAMETER, SBI and SIP.
- Strong knowledge in 5G call flows, interfaces and protocols.
- Working knowledge of 5G Authorization and User Data Management.
- Deep Knowledge in IMS and LTE call flows and wireless technologies.
- Working knowledge of 4G Authorization and Subscriber Database.
- Working knowledge of QoS, Roaming and SIM architecture.
- Good knowledge with Verizon Cloud Platform (Core & Edge).
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrable history of collaborating with peers across organizational boundaries to deliver results.
- Strong commitment to quality, self-motivation and accountability to work assignments.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).