Principal Systems Performance Engineer ( 590166-1B )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
We promise our customers the most reliable coverage across the country, and you’ll make sure we deliver on that promise. You’ll be a technical leader and authority in network performance for a large geographic area, proactively identifying new ways to improve speed and quality, and helping to resolve our most complex problems. We’ve got a growing customer base using more devices every day, and their expectations are high—you’ll play a key role in making sure they’re never disappointed.
- Monitoring the performance of our LTE, 5G, 1X, and EVDO networks, and finding ways to make improvements or mitigate potential problems.
- Resolving service-impacting issues, sometimes using non-traditional, out-of-the-box solutions.
- Investigating and resolving customer complaints, often through drive testing, field visits, and efforts to replicate the customer experience.
- Owning the investigation of Root Metrics/Baseline/Nielsen, and the coordination and implementation of complex network directives.
- Crafting pre- and post-cell site/carrier-add templates and checklists for LTE and 5G, and also making sure site/carriers are properly integrated into the network and optimized for peak performance.
- Performing FOAs and parameter trials, and analyzing and evaluating results.
- Leading technical sessions to ensure lessons learned are shared within the region.
- Providing troubleshooting support for complex network issues.
- Activating new or redesigned RAN assets in a timely fashion to meet regional goals and improve customer experience.
- Analyzing regional statistics to identify potential issues that are contributing to large-scale degradation of the network performance.
- Working closely with Network Assurance to quickly resolve network-impacting issues.
- Interfacing with regional network teams, Area teams, HQ teams, and equipment vendors for the purpose of operations support and root-cause analyses.
- Monitoring and analyzing call-trending data to ensure service levels are met and maintained.
- Identifying and implementing changes to improve service quality including antenna modifications, system-parameter adjustments, and software changes.
- Working closely with other disciplines within the region, utilizing strong communication skills to articulate priorities relating to the LTE and 5G networks' performance.
- Partnering with RF Engineering to help drive overall RF network design to achieve performance objectives.
- Maintaining a strong relationship with the Sales organization and supporting them as necessary to establish and maintain confidence in network superiority.
- Continuing to provide the best network in the industry as measured by RootMetrics, Nielsen, and Internal Baseline.
- Working with Customer Service and the NRB to provide timely analysis and resolution of customer problems.
Where you'll be working:
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’re a technical expert and a self-starter who encourages team members and business partners to exceed expectations. You constantly see through the eyes of a customer, and you bring that perspective to everything you do. Your natural curiosity drives you to track down problems and collaborate with others to develop solutions.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to travel up to 25%.
- Valid driver's license.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree in electrical engineering or a related field.
- Experience in optimizing both Nokia and Samsung LTE and 5G networks.
- Knowledge of the end-to-end architectures of LTE and 5G networks.
- Experience investigating network issues using tools such as IrisView, TrueCall, RTT, DMAT, and XLPT.
- Experience in the use of data-collection and post-processing tools such as XCAP, DataPro, DMAT, and Actix.
- Ability to create scripting tools and automate tasks using Python.
- Experience in mapping software such as MapInfo and Google Earth.
- Experience in data analysis/collection tools such as ALPT, RTT, IrisView, Truecall and Datapro.
- Knowledge of Advanced Calling (VoLTE), SIP, and the analysis of SIP messaging using IrisView.
- Ability to differentiate and diagnose RAN- and EPS-related problems.
- Strong analytical and communication skills.
- History of collaboration.
- Ability and willingness to teach a large or small audience.
- Ability to listen to diverse viewpoints and look at data to arrive at unbiased conclusions on recommendations.
- Comfortable challenging the status quo with regard to parameter optimization and network design.
- Ability to lead investigations of complex RAN issues and solicit help from various sources such as HQ and vendors as needed.
- Knowledge of mobile and data communications standards (3GPP, IETF, etc.)
- Hands-on experience in implementing RAN technology trials with successful KPI improvements.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).