Lead Technical Support Engineer ( R-00084605 )
Driven by our talented workforce, the Security Detection & Automation Operation is the cornerstone of Leidos’ comprehensive suite of fully integrated security detection and automation solutions for aviation, ports and borders, and critical infrastructure customers around the world, with more than 24,000 products deployed across 120 countries. Leidos is positioned to address emerging and evolving threats through rapid development of innovative solutions for our global customers. Leidos’ SDA Operation, in conjunction with the TSA, also performs on-call, onsite installation servicing of X- Ray Detection Equipment using leading edge technology to ensure the safety of our clients, customer and passengers.
The Security Detection and Automation Operation is comprised of four divisions to align with our customers’ missions and needs:
As a Lead P&B Technical Support Engineer, this individual must be team oriented and flexible, and actively seek to share information and assist his peers. Under minimal supervision, supervises a regional / nationally based team and oversees the work activities of field service operations technicians to meet production schedules and quality standards. Possesses excellent communication skills, both oral and written. Demonstrates strong electronic repair troubleshooting methodology and maintains a high technical level of product knowledge. Ability to read and follow electrical/mechanical schematics to assist in isolating fault to root cause component/assembly. Cross trains on products serviced in the field, and displays high proficiency in servicing the NII X-Ray, radiation detection, and various Network Systems and product lines. Eagerness to work on and lead special projects, some of high visibility as assigned. Looks for common-mode problem occurrences and seeks to resolve, both independently and with the aid of others. Has a strong knowledge of business PC applications (MS Word, Excel & Power Point) and able to effectively use them to provide clear, concise information summaries and project updates as needed.
Troubleshoots, conducts training (both factory and in the field), leads field service improvement initiatives and performs high level repairs actions for Ports and Borders cargo and conventional equipment types. Demonstrates initiative and dedication through positive use of downtime and an overall willingness and eagerness to consistently exceed customer and company requirements. Mentors other Technical Support Engineers in order to improve their skill and knowledge of the equipment. Establishes and maintains an on-call Product Support schedule to assist the Call Center with P&B product support escalations globally. Support includes, phone, email, and remote network as required.
The Lead must be an example for others to follow. Not only must they perform day to day tasks at a highly efficient level, they must exercise excellent communications skills to both internal and external customers, meet deadlines for scheduled work, complete all administrative tasks required for call completion and they must do so in a safe manner. Activities are generally conducted with a high degree of independence and are virtually self-supervising. The duties
and responsibilities may change from time to time without notice and include but are not limited to the duties described below.
- Responsible for scheduling and coordinating work assignments for P&B Technical Support Engineers to meet department schedules. This includes ensuring that task schedules are set to meet customer needs at assigned sites.
- Ensures that workload is distributed efficiently amongst the P&B Technical Support team.
- Provides and tracks product specific formal on-the-job training (OJT) for newly hired employees and seasoned P&B Technical Support Engineers.
- Coordinates after-action activities such as recommending field service process improvements, training material updates, ECR’s, and FSB’s from data gathered from site inspections / audits to ensure contract requirements are being met and that sites are operating at peak efficiency.
- Along with the P&B Service Director, develops and maintains departmental work instructions to assist / ensure Field Service efficiency such as updates to the P&B Field Service manual.
- Assists the Field Service department with in-field support for high level / advanced troubleshooting and repair
- Works closely with the Training department to ensure that technical courses are set to the correct / needed standard for Field Service Technicians
- Provides input to the P&B Service Director on staffing requirements.
- Utilizes data derived from Customer Relationship Management (CRM) or Service Management Software (SMS) to maximize site / location efficiency and meet Key Performance Indicators (KPI).
- Maintains quality of production, noting errors in work on variance from established procedures on the part of the P&B Technical Support Engineer he/she leads, correcting the issues and/or advising the manager.
- Provides direction to other technicians in order to improve their performance and to follow established Field Service procedures.
- Must be able to respond to emergency and non-scheduled calls for service on a daily basis within established response time goals.
- Must ensure the SES Contact Center has around the clock 24/7/365 Product Support via an available Technical Support Engineer via both phone, email, or remote support.
- May be called upon to work on equipment that has little or no documentation or training.
- Maintains an accurate inventory of equipment and tools assigned.
- Maintains currency on all technical certifications.
- Reviews the Customer Service Management software for open issues and possible trends, then prepares formal reports as necessary.
- Assesses product/equipment performance based on field support data; recommends modifications or improvements.
- Seeks to provide technical support to customers and other service professionals as required.
- May participate in site surveys, pilot program service activities, attend meetings, champion special projects and prepare exclusive reports.
- Possesses a high level of technical knowledge on the company’s NII, RDE, and Network technologies.
- Maintains clear and concise business communication proficiency, both oral and written.
- Exercises every available measure to control and minimize costs while maximizing revenue.
- Must submit expenses, timecards and other administrative tasks within the specified timelines.
- Travel, overtime and work hours other than Monday-Friday may be required.
- Comply with and ensure department compliance with Company health, safety and environmental policies.
- Comply with all applicable U.S. export control and security regulations.
- May be expected to assist in the preparation of operator and maintenance documentation, training, and may provide training to others as an instructor.
- Other duties as required.
Education/Training: Engineering degree in related field (industrial, systems, electrical, electronic, mechanical). Equivalence achieved through comparative work and life experience is acceptable (>10 years work experience in a related electrical or mechanical field service role).
Computer literacy; competency in use of all programs within MS Office Suite and aptitude for learning specialized software programs. Linux experience is preferred.
Experience: Minimum of 10 years experience directly involved in troubleshooting and field repair of advanced/integrated electrical and electronic systems and equipment. Minimum 2 years of previous leadership / supervision experience.
Knowledge/Skills: Individuals shall possess excellent communications skills and have a strong orientation for customer focus and teamwork. Must be responsive to all customer issues at all times. Must be willing & able to travel or appoint a Technical Support Engineer to travel at short notice.
Supervises: Leads and manages a remote team of Technical Support Engineers within their geographical territory. Also must be capable of leading small (4-6 members) cross functional teams of similar roles.
Background: Must be able to pass an in depth DHS/CBP background check.
See how Leidos is safeguarding people and commerce by selecting the link below!
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral ProgramPay Range:Pay Range $72,150.00 - $111,000.00 - $149,850.00