Technical Writer ( R-00057632 )
The Homeland Security Solutions Operation within Leidos is looking for a Technical Writer to provide support on a mission-critical program supporting the Customs and Border Protection (CBP). The Senior Technical Writer will perform the full range of duties as necessary to support software development, Software Quality Assurance, and User Acceptance Testing of systems including developing/updating, analyzing, and maintaining project documents and deliverables in accordance with established guidelines and processes. The senior technical writer will may also be required to support developing standard operating procedures, business process documentation, general project documentation, intranet content, user guides, training materials, and other internal content. Candidate must be a collaborative team player who can evaluate, recommend, plan and execute technical content.
- Provide drafting, review, and presentation of technical and administrative topics for a federal government program.
- Develop and edit documentation for systems development programs.
- Experience developing and updating templates.
- Develop basic graphics and utilize desktop publishing tools to demonstrate technical systems.
- Maintain documentation and version control in a shared repository such as SharePoint.
- Support reviews and editing for grammar, content and style of writing.
- Engage with Subject Matter Experts to develop and review program documentation.
- Work with Business Analysts to document IT processes
- Report on progress of work products and deliverables
- Adhere to CBP and Leidos style guides and templates
- Assess, analyze, write, edit and manage end-user training and documentation for technology implementations and updates
- Analyze documents to maintain continuity of style of content
- Develop and cultivate positive working relationships with team members, engineers, project managers and support staff
- US Citizenship.
- Eligibility to obtain DHS Suitability (required to start work).
- Bachelor's degree is required - studies in a related discipline desired.
- Minimum of 4 years of related experience supporting technical writing for a technical program.
- Experience supporting technical writing for systems/software development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency working with Microsoft Office tools.
- Experience with Visio.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments and adhere to competing deadlines.
- Ability to interpret and explain complex information and provide procedures in clear and concise manner to users with all different levels of technical experience
- Ability to research technical subject matter, organize information from multiple sources, and express technical information in written form
- Skilled at developing document templates to ensure ease of use and functional capability
- Skilled at prioritization and multi-tasking
- Quickly adapt to change and revise documents accordingly
- Current DHS Suitability or CBP Background Investigation is highly desired.
- Familiarity with Department of Homeland Security terminology
- Acquainted with 508 compliance