Product Incubation, UI Designer
Thomas J. Watson said it best: “Good design is good business.” Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
Your Role and Responsibilities
As a UI Designer at IBM Research on the Product Incubation team, you'll be contributing to converting early-stage technologies into real-world impact through a user-centered approach. You will design user interfaces that translate complex AI technologies into delightful, intuitive, and compelling prototypes based on the Carbon Design System to accelerate the lab-to-market pipeline.
Your role and responsibilities:
Design the user experience of digital tools to validate technologies and explore potential applications of IBM Research AI technologies.
Collaborate with UX Designers and Design Researchers to translate requirements and UX flows into compelling user interfaces.
Apply and extend the Carbon Design System to design delightful interactive user interfaces grounded in the IBM Design Language.
Design and demonstrate detailed interaction design through storyboards, mock-ups, and clickable prototypes in Figma.
Create detailed specifications on user interfaces to hand-off self-explainable UI design material to developers.
Run quality analysis of the developed interfaces.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- At least 5 years of experience designing interactive digital experiences.
- Proficiency working with Figma, creating components and interactive prototypes.
- Experience applying and extending design systems.
- A portfolio of relevant work experience.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Expertise designing for AI applications.
- Interest in Generative AI technologies.
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams, including Developers, Product Managers, and Design Researchers.
- Knowledge of Carbon Design System.
- Experience working with Github and ZenHub, in collaboration with developers.
- Experience with data visualization.
About Business Unit
Your Life @ IBM
Being an IBMer means you’ll be able to learn and develop yourself and your career, you’ll be encouraged to be courageous and experiment everyday, all whilst having continuous trust and support in an environment where everyone can thrive whatever their personal or professional background.
Our IBMers are growth minded, always staying curious, open to feedback and learning new information and skills to constantly transform themselves and our company. They are trusted to provide on-going feedback to help other IBMers grow, as well as collaborate with colleagues keeping in mind a team focused approach to include different perspectives to drive exceptional outcomes for our customers. The courage our IBMers have to make critical decisions everyday is essential to IBM becoming the catalyst for progress, always embracing challenges with resources they have to hand, a can-do attitude and always striving for an outcome focused approach within everything that they do.
Are you ready to be an IBMer?
- Healthcare benefits including medical & prescription drug coverage, dental, vision, and mental health & well being
- Financial programs such as 401(k), the IBM Employee Stock Purchase Plan, financial counseling, life insurance, short & long- term disability coverage, and opportunities for performance based salary incentive programs
- Generous paid time off including 12 holidays, minimum 56 hours sick time, 120 hours vacation, 12 weeks parental bonding leave in accordance with IBM Policy, and other Paid Care Leave programs. IBM also offers paid family leave benefits to eligible employees where required by applicable law
- Training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform where IBMers can grow skills and obtain industry-recognized certifications to achieve their career goals
- Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups, giving & volunteer opportunities, and discounts on retail products, services & experiences
The compensation range and benefits for this position are based on a full-time schedule for a full calendar year. The salary will vary depending on your job-related skills, experience and location. Pay increment and frequency of pay will be in accordance with employment classification and applicable laws. For part time roles, your compensation and benefits will be adjusted to reflect your hours. Benefits may be pro-rated for those who start working during the calendar year.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Being You @ IBM