Tower Operator - Bensenville, IL (85845)
- Req ID: [[id]]
- Department: [[filter6]]
- Job Type: [[jobLevel]]
- Position Type: [[relocationPack]]
- Location: [[filter3]], [[filter2]]
- Country: [[filter1]]
- # of Positions: [[numberOpenings]]
- Compensation Rate: [[compensation]]
- Job Available to: [[jobAvailable]]
- Deadline to apply: [[closeDate]]
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Tower Operator is responsible for the safe, efficient, and timely movement of all trains under the direction of the Train Dispatcher.
- Dispatch train and engineering movements on the railroad in a safe and efficient manner under the direction of the Train Dispatcher;
- Delivers necessary track authorities to safely move trains across the railroad under the direction of the Train Dispatcher;
- Delivers necessary track authorities for protection of engineering personnel under the direction of the Train Dispatcher;
- Records information as required by the railroad and the federal government;
- Informs Train Dispatcher of the overall operations of trains and any delays;
- Delivers necessary Track Bulletins to protect trains and engineering personnel under the direction of the Train Dispatcher;
- Provides for the prompt movement of cars when billed, reporting any delayed car movement to the Train Dispatcher;
- Assists in the investigations of train accidents and personal injuries, when required;
- Complies with all rules, office procedures, and requirements of Transportation Health and Safety Plan;
- Skilled communication with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- High School Graduate or equivalent required;
- One to three years’ experience in Transportation or Train Operations preferred;
- Thorough knowledge of General Code of Operating Rules, Timetables, Operations Supervisor Manuals, and Notices including passing of required exams;
- Previous Tower Operator or comparable experience preferred;
- Must be able to become familiar with train operations and associated rules;
- Must be able to form a good understanding of physical characteristics of the railroad;
- Must possess ability to analyze rapidly and be capable of making quick decisions;
- Must be computer literate and possess the ability to master computerized train control applications;
- Requires shift work as assigned, including nights, weekends, and holidays;
- Good communication skills;
- Good color vision required.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Employer Funded Retirement Plan
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Part-time Studies Program
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is a safety critical position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol and drug audit assessments. Qualification drug test(s) are also required.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
- Last 3 years of driving history
- Social Security number verification
CP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, inclusive of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities