Assistant Engineer- Freight Railroad [PHL] (PHL CLASS 21-02)
Assists in safe movement of freight trains and switching of railroad cars for various customers.
Benefits: PHL offers a comprehensive benefits package including paid vacation and personal days, paid holidays, medical, dental and prescription drug coverage, short term disability, vision, 401[k] with company match, and life insurance. PHL pays most of the premium costs for benefits.
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years old.
- Must be able to take and pass a comprehension test administered by computer/web portal.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must successfully pass a criminal history background check.
- Must pass a pre-employment physical exam, physical capabilities test, and alcohol/drug screen consisting of breath, urine and hair follicle testing.
- Must have or apply for a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), at the applicant’s expense, before commencement of training.
- Must maintain a TWIC for continued employment at PHL.
- Must be able to effectively comprehend and follow written and oral instructions, including safety rules and regulations.
- Must have effective communication skills and be able to pass all required written exams.
- Switch, deliver and pickup freight railcars at various port locations.
- Ride sides of moving rail cars, climb ladders, operate track switches.
- Complete documentation for hazardous materials.
- Keep accurate records of time and work performed as required by federal regulation.
- Use two-way radios and cell phone, and drive company vehicles.
- Various other tasks as assigned.
- Four weeks of classroom training and eight to twelve weeks of field training.
- The work is performed outside in all types of weather.
- Work assignments may be scheduled at varying shifts and schedules, including weekends and holidays, within a 24/7/365 operation.
- Environment may include fumes, dust, pollen, vibration, noise and engine exhaust.
- Walking long distances on uneven surfaces and gravel.