- Req ID: [[id]]
- Department: [[filter6]]
- Job Type: [[jobLevel]]
- Position Type: [[relocationPack]]
- Location: [[filter3]], [[filter2]]
- Country: [[filter1]]
- % of Travel: [[travel]]
- # of Positions: [[numberOpenings]]
- Job Available to: [[jobAvailable]]
- Deadline to apply: [[closeDate]]
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As the Assistant Trainmaster you will assist in the efficient movement of traffic within the road territory and yard-terminal by developing, organizing and executing the daily yard-terminal/road operating plan in a safe and cost-effective manner which maximizes fluidity and achieves Local Service Operating Plan (LOSP) and Operating Plan (OP) compliance on a daily basis. This includes all processes related to arrival, classification, building, inspecting and dispatching of trains. You will also provide leadership accountability for inputs and outputs of safety, service, productivity and financial metrics.
- Direct yard processes to fulfill customer car orders, Customer Service Operations instructions and Mechanical and Engineering requests for car movement and placement;
- Accountable for delivering instructions for train movements within terminal to Dispatching and Operating crews;
- Assist in the coordination of all train movements within the yard and on the mainline;
- Accountable for asset utilization within the terminal
- Accountable for expedited train movement to reduce and meet terminal dwell time
- Update times, delays and variances in NEXUS/Yard Planner on a continuous basis (as required);
- Validate mechanical requirements are met for car repair spotting and inspection to maximize track availability;
- Communicate with employees for all safety initiatives and blitz’s required in the terminal;
- Ensure all documentation is accurate, complete and properly communicated to the next Assistant Trainmaster on shift;
- Resolve non-compliance crew issues and/or opportunities for process improvement, or escalate to the Trainmaster as appropriate;
- Trouble shoot daily problems and concerns and resolve by implementing action plans and standard process;
- Perform efficiency tests and other safety activities to meet required standards;
- Review workload for LSOP assignments to ensure maximum production and efficiency of assignments;
- Contribute to the overall execution of the LSOP and OP through active supervision;
- Accountable for inventory management of terminals and line of road in their areas of responsibility;
- Assist in crew transportation to and from trains, away from home terminal hotels and for over the road requirements
- Accountable for Transfer of Liability (TOL) notification (as required);
- Accountable for notification and escalation of customer delays;
- Responsible for job / safety briefings of the crews;
- May be assigned Train & Engine employees to mentor and coach through active observation and providing feedback.
- Must possess a High School diploma or GED;
- Must have previous railway experience;
- Previous operations related experience would be considered an asset;
- Must be able to understand the Operating Plan & Local Service Operating Plan and compliance to it as it pertains to the yard;
- Qualified Locomotive Engineer is an asset;
- Must become Conductor or Engineer qualified and occasionally operate trains;
- Must be or become rules qualified (CROR - Canadian Rail Operating Rules);
- Must maintain certifications and licenses (i.e. Engineer Certification);
- Must have a valid driver's license;
- Must have strong computer skills;
- Must be detailed orientated;
- Must have strong attention to detail skills;
- Ability to understand and work with collective agreements and other applicable regulations;
- Ability to drill down, understand root cause and resolve complex issues;
- Willing to be available as required on a 7x24 basis.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Part-time Studies Program
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
Operating safely is a core foundation of CP. Our commitment is to protect our people, customers, communities in which we operate, the environment and our assets. We are also committed to a healthy and safe workplace. CP’s Alcohol and Drug Policy and Procedures (“Policy and Procedures”) support these commitments. All new hires for a safety critical position will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol, and drug audit assessment. Pre-employment qualification drug test(s) are also required. This includes candidates participating in the Trainee Program who will also be required to pass a drug test during the training process before receiving final qualification for the position.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
- Education verification
- Driver’s License Verification
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").