- Req ID: [[id]]
- Department: [[filter6]]
- Job Type: [[jobLevel]]
- Position Type: [[relocationPack]]
- Location: [[filter3]], [[filter2]]
- Country: [[filter1]]
- % of Travel: [[travel]]
- # of Positions: [[numberOpenings]]
- Job Available to: [[jobAvailable]]
- Deadline to apply: [[closeDate]]
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As the Trainmaster you will deliver efficient movement of traffic within the road territory and yard-terminal by developing, organizing, and executing the daily yard-terminal/road operating plan in a safe and cost effective manner which maximizes fluidity and achieves Local Service Operating Plan (LSOP) and Operating Plan compliance on a daily basis. This includes all processes related to arrival, classification, building, inspecting and dispatching of trains. Leadership accountability for inputs and outputs of safety, service, productivity and financial metrics.
- Ensure the safe and tactical execution of the Operating Plan through active supervision of operating (train) crews, Yardmasters, support staff and Assistant Trainmasters;
- Accountable for inputs and outputs of safety, service, productivity, financial metrics and adherence to corporate values, which includes compliance with regulatory environment;
- Accountable for the safe, on time operations of all trains and contribute to the overall execution of the LSOP and Operating Plan;
- Conduct efficiency tests, train rides and safety related activities to support a safe, efficient operation;
- Accountable to investigate safety rules and policy failures and respond and act on safety, health and environmental related incidents, identify cause, implement or recommend corrective actions or action plans;
- Participate and assist with safety and business plan roll-outs across the region;
- Identify and act on opportunities to increase yard/road fluidity and productivity;
- Create and manage a strong team of employees including determination of optimal numbers, recruitment and development;
- Ensure compliance to CP’s policies and collective agreements and recommend changes;
- Ensure the delivery of optimal results against appropriate performance and financial metrics through maximum asset utilization;
- Accountable for holding investigations (accident or discipline) in accordance with labor agreements, policies, etc.;
- Accountable for inventory management for terminals and line of road in their areas of responsibility;
- Accountable for rail cars that are idle for 24 hours or longer for any reason;
- Accountable for full understanding of business requirements, service commitments and any service penalty conditions for customers in their geographic area;
- May be required to attend derailments/incidents/injuries when on duty;
- May be assigned Train & Engine employees to mentor and coach.
- Must possess a High School diploma or GED;
- Must have previous railway experience;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Previous operations related experience would be considered an asset;
- Must be able to understand the Operating Plan & Local Service Operating Plan and compliance to it as it pertains to the yard;
- Qualified Locomotive Engineer is an asset;
- Must become Conductor or Engineer qualified and occasionally operate trains;
- Must be or become rules qualified (GCOR);
- Must maintain certifications and licenses (i.e. Engineer Certification);
- Ability to pin point expectations and provide positive and constructive feedback;
- Ability to analyze, understand and resolve local issues related to interpreting variances to operating protocols;
- Ability to understand and work with collective agreements and other applicable regulations;
- Knowledge of and ability to conduct investigations;
- Ability to accept change;
- Ability to drill down, understand root cause and resolve complex issues;
- Willing to be available as required on a 7x24 basis.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Employer Funded Retirement Plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Part-time Studies Program
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is a safety critical; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol, and drug audit assessments. Qualification drug test(s) are also required.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Driver’s License Verification
- Last 3 years of driving history
- Last 7 years of employment history; includes military service
- Social Security number verification
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, inclusive of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.