On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Use engineering principles to research, design, or develop structures, instruments, machines, processes, or systems; to construct or operate the same with cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions
- Conceptualize, design, analyze, and manage product realization of hardware on current and next generation accelerators and pulsed power machines
- Engage with physicists and scientists in the realization of complex hardware systems to perform advanced research
- Develop dynamic state of the art sensors, diagnostics, and pulsed power concepts
- Accomplish sub-scale and full-scale testing of designs in and for use in pulsed power environments
- Work to meet critical schedules in an extremely exciting environment
- Present concepts, designs, test data, results, status to management and team members
- Engage with a team of engineers, designers, scientists, and technologists to resolve complex hardware realization issues
- Minimal travel as required, for training or to support project efforts
- Telework is allowed for this specific position
Research and Development
Work Where it Matters
Akima Infrastructure Services (AIS), an Akima company, is not just another staffing contractor. As an Alaska Native Corporation (ANC), our mission and purpose extend beyond our exciting federal projects as we support our shareholder communities in Alaska.
At AIS, the work you do every day makes a difference in the lives of our 15,000 Iñupiat shareholders, a group of Alaska natives from one of the most remote and harshest environments in the United States.
For our shareholders , AIS provides support and employment opportunities and contributes to the survival of a culture that has thrived above the Arctic Circle for more than 10,000 years.
For our government customers , AIS supports vital missions with the most in-demand and specialized skill sets in the world.
As an AIS employee , you will be surrounded by a challenging, yet supportive work environment that is committed to innovation and diversity, two of our most important values. You will also have access to our comprehensive benefits and competitive pay in addition to growth opportunities and excellent retirement options.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender or gender-identity, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or parental status, or any other basis prohibited by law. If you are an individual with a disability, and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or [Register to View] (information about job applications status is not available at this contact information).
Security Clearance Required:
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in a relevant STEM field plus six years relevant experience, or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience
- Engineering and design experience in pulsed power systems (i.e mechanical systems subjected to extremely high current and voltage environments resulting in dynamic mechanical and thermal loads)
- Experience with engineering design tools for finite element analysis (FEA) or thermal analysis such as: ABAQUS, ANSYS
- Experience using Creo Parametric (or Solidworks) and PDMLink (Windchill) tools in creating mechanical product design definition to include 3D solid models and mechanical drawings
- Active DOE Q Clearance or equivalent
Preferred Qualifications (Desired):
- Must be able to independently seek definition, evaluate, analyze, and then realize mechanical designs based on physicists and electrical designers’ visions
- Systems engineering experience to include configuration management, generating and validating requirements
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to present to diverse audiences
- Experience directing and overseeing manufacturing of hardware
- Experience in design and engineering with vacuum, fluids, and pressure
- Experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
- Ability to work in a results-oriented and high-performance teaming environment, and ability to work independently