Senior Transportation Sourcing Specialist
Senior Transportation Sourcing Specialist (Job Number: 2303089 )
Primary responsibilities include managing the spot pricing program and being the primary point of contact for Penske Brokerage customers during this process. Responsible to document and understand customers’ requirements, develop process in partnership with management, identify and engage customers and negotiate spot rates to secure business from Penske Brokerage customers.
Provide continuous improvement opportunities for both volume and margin cost and initiatives through data analysis and customer engagement. Study and understand transport market rate and capacity trends to ensure carrier coverage and mitigate cost impacts to the customer.
- This position is responsible for managing the spot quoting function for a assigned customer accounts.
- Establish and develop pricing strategies for existing customers to drive account growth while achieving margin targets.
- Understand Transportation market factors and communicate to customer in terms of business impacts (actual or potential)
- Utilize market trends, benchmarking, and historical rates in the formulation of spot pricing strategies
- Lead new customer implementations and ensure smooth transition to the carrier management team for ongoing support post start-up
- Assist in RFP projects for customers, as well as executing stand-alone project pricing.
- Establish and grow relationships with contacts at assigned accounts.
- Conduct regular meetings with core providers to review cost and service performance
- Manage the performance improvement process with under-performing carriers to either improve service or remove them from the network
- Initiate contracting with new carriers and see process through completion.
- Ensure all rates are reflected accurately in Penske’s TMS
- Use data and analytics to identify customer-specific cost and service opportunities
- Work closely with Penske sales executives to respond quickly to perspective customer Requests for Quote
- Work closely with the Operations teams to trouble shoot issues and provide adequate resolution.
- As a senior level team member, you have a leadership role to support the team and special requests.
- Minimum 5-7 years of Transportation and Logistics experience with a focus on negotiating rates and service levels with Transportation and Logistics Providers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Logistics, Transportation.
- Working Knowledge of Transportation operations, rate structures and contracts required
- Working Knowledge of Transportation Carrier operations, rate structures, contracts, and tariffs required for the following modes: Truckload.
- Excellent negotiation skills and the ability to communicate effectively with senior executives
- Understanding of TMS systems
- Ability to organize multiple tasks and assignments
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong oral and written communications skills are required
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
- Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are required. (Estimated 25% Travel)
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
Penske Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Truck Leasing. With operations in North America, South America, Europe and Asia, Penske Logistics provides supply chain management and logistics services to leading companies around the world. Penske Logistics delivers value through its design, planning and execution in transportation, warehousing and freight management. Visit www.PenskeLogistics.com to learn more.
Work Locations :500 W MADISON ST STE 1180 500 W MADISON ST STE 1180
Chicago, IL 60661
Primary Location : United States-Illinois-Chicago
Job : Logistics/Supply Chain
Penske Oracle Job (US & CA only do not edit): : PL.Carrier Sales Representative
Req ID: 2303089