Motor Vehicle Mechanic
The Motor Vehicle Mechanic repairs, rebuilds, or overhauls major assemblies of internal combustion automobiles, buses, trucks or tractors.
Diagnose, analyze and troubleshoot vehicle malfunctions and repair problems.
- Maintaining and repairing government vehicles.
- Completing maintenance tickets and repair orders in a timely manner.
- Dispose of waste materials per regulations and applicable laws.
- Stay abreast of latest technology and installation procedures
- Inspects diagnoses and isolates vehicle and equipment malfunctions; troubleshoots, traces and locates defects and/or causes of mechanical problems to determine type and extent of necessary repairs.
- Repairs all assigned vehicles and equipment to ensure they are safe and dependable
- Repairs lighting systems, sirens, wheel bearings, radiators, heating and air-conditioning systems, springs, hydraulic systems, catalytic converters and fuel pumps
- Utilizes on-board computer diagnostic systems and other test equipment in order to test automotive computer control and emission systems; assesses and analyzes malfunctions of machinery using microcomputers, calipers, gauges, and other equipment.
- Interacts with customers to keep them informed of status of vehicles, repairs needed, etc
- Inspects and tests equipment for mechanical defects, and replaces worn parts.
- Removes, replaces, adjusts, or cleans defective parts or components
- Flushes radiators and replaces anti-freeze solutions.
- Perform oil changes, check fluids, diagnose tread wear, replace batteries and trouble-shoot problems. Performs engine tune-ups.
- Utilizes appropriate techniques and procedures in accordance with manufacturer's specification in armoring vehicles as directed.
- Repairs automotive locks
- Based on assignment independently installs new vehicle equipment, such as radios, sirens, wire cages, lights, etc.
- Perform State vehicle safety and emission inspections on owned vehicles
- Identifies necessary parts, equipment and supplies needed to complete repair or preventative check.
- Estimates cost and labor time for corrective repairs.
- Responds to emergency road calls for disabled vehicles and makes minor adjustments or has the vehicle towed for back for repairs.
- Road tests vehicles during and occasionally upon completion of maintenance/repair work.
- Responds to emails and telephone calls.
- Ensures the necessary provision of vehicles, and support for customers.
Perform all other position related duties as assigned or requested.
Work Environment, Physical Demands, and Mental Demands:
Typical warehouse environment with no unusual hazards, frequent lifting to 20-50 pounds, kneeling, standing, and walking, routinely sitting and constant use of speech/hearing abilities for communication, constant mental alertness, must possess planning/organizing skills, and must be able to work under deadlines.
Safety - Amentum enforces a safety culture whereby all employees have the responsibility for continuously developing and maintaining a safe work environment. As appropriate, each employee is responsible for completing all training requirements and fulfilling all self-aid/buddy aid responsibilities, participating in emergency response tasks and serving on safety committees and teams.
Quality - Quality is the foundation for the management of our business and the keystone to our goal of customer satisfaction. It is our policy to consistently provide services that meet customer expectations. Accordingly, each employee must conform to the Amentum Quality Policy and carry out job activities in compliance with applicable Amentum Quality System documents and customer contracts. Each employee must read and understand his/her Quality Management and Customer Satisfaction responsibilities.
Procedure Compliance - Each employee must read, understand and implement the general and specific operational, safety, quality and environmental requirements of all plans, procedures and policies pertaining to his/her job.
- High school diploma, technical school, apprenticeship, trade school graduate or equivalent required.
- 3 years minimum experience in the problem diagnosis, repair and maintenance of a wide variety of light, medium, heavy and/or specialized automotive equipment, other heavy equipment, and FAV vehicles.
- Must be knowledgeable of gasoline and diesel vehicle preventive maintenance programs.
- Excellent communication skills with ability to interact at all levels of management and with subordinate team.
- Excellent record of safety operations and working knowledge of safety standards for motor vehicle mechanical and electrical systems.
- Considerable knowledge of the operating systems used in motor vehicles and equipment.
- Considerable knowledge of the practices and tools used in the maintenance and diagnostics of vehicles and equipment.
- Considerable knowledge of computer, electrical, transistorized and other non-mechanical systems and how they tie-in with and affect the operation of mechanical systems.
- Considerable knowledge of the standard tools, equipment, test procedures and practices used in the repair and preventative maintenance of fleet and training vehicles.
- Good interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to diagnose mechanical and related malfunctions.
- Ability to read technical manuals, references and specifications.
- Ability to write routine correspondences, maintenance logs and order forms.
- Ability to operate a forklift, power tools, wrenches, diagnostic equipment, and jacks.
- Ability to prioritize and schedule multiple tasks.
- Must have a valid and current state drivers license.
- Must understand and be able to use Technical Manuals.
- Must be able to complete paperwork associated with vehicle maintenance and repairs.
- Ability to manipulate and use hand tools and hydraulic equipment.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Passing a pre-employment drug screen and a government background check is required.
- Must be able to successfully pass a National Agency Check (NAC) within 60 days of hire if required and have a valid driver's license.
- Must be available for any shift. Willing to work weekends and other hours as needed.
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand English.