Heavy Equipment Mechanic (4ID Maint. Augmentation) $5,800 in Bonuses Available !
Work Where it Matters
Akima Facilities Operations (AFO), an Akima company, is not just another federal facilities contractor. As an Alaska Native Corporation (ANC), our mission and purpose extend beyond our exciting federal projects as we support our shareholder communities in Alaska.
At AFO, the work you do every day makes a difference in the lives of our 15,000 Iñupiat shareholders, a group of Alaska natives from one of the most remote and harshest environments in the United States.
For our shareholders , AFO provides support and employment opportunities and contributes to the survival of a culture that has thrived above the Arctic Circle for more than 10,000 years.
For our government customers , AFO sustains mission readiness and ensures quality of life by maintaining high value assets and operations at peak performance and successfully manages these operations through accurately forecasting, managing, and aggressively controlling costs.
As an AFO employee , you will be surrounded by a challenging, yet supportive work environment that is committed to innovation and diversity, two of our most important values. You will also have access to our comprehensive benefits and competitive pay in addition to growth opportunities and excellent retirement options.
AFO is seeking a Heavy Equipment Mechanic for 4ID Maintenance Augmentation mission for the Maintenance Department in Fort Carson, CO
Upon hire, will receive a sign on bonus of $1,000 at 90 days on contract. Then, will receive up to an additional $4,800.00 upon completion of contract mission not to exceed 12 months. Employee must work the final day to receive contract completion bonus.
The Heavy Equipment Mechanic analyzes malfunctions and repairs, rebuilds and maintains power equipment, such as cranes, power shovels, scrapers, paving machines, motor graders, trench-digging machines, conveyors, bulldozers, dredges, pumps, compressors and pneumatic tools. This worker operates and inspects machines or equipment to diagnose defects, dismantles and reassembles equipment, using hoists and hand tools, examines parts for damage or excessive wear, using micrometers and gauges, replaces defective engines and subassemblies, such as transmissions, and tests overhauled equipment to insure operating efficiency. The mechanic welds broken parts and structural members, may direct workers engaged in cleaning parts and assisting with assembly and disassembly of equipment, and may repair, adjust and maintain mining machinery, such as stripping and loading shovels, drilling and cutting machines, and continuous mining machines.
- Performs the full range of overhaul, repair and service of combat vehicles, material handling equipment and heavy combat/engineer equipment at Field and Sustainment levels of maintenance.
- Ensures quality of work and required tools and materials are to be used.
- Ensures work is complete and conforms to standards and requirements IAW technical manuals, ETM’S, and local SOPs.
- Heavy Equipment Mechanic analyzes malfunctions, conduct repairs and services FMC.
- Worker will also repair forklifts, bucket loaders, excavators, motor graders, VAC trucks, tractors, lawn cutting equipment and water tankers.
- Troubleshoot electrical, mechanical, and understand electrical, hydraulic schematics, and use scanners on commercial vehicle fleets.
- Performs initial, in-process and final inspections of work orders.
- Assures that equipment and supplies are utilized properly.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Supervisor or Lead mechanic.
- High School graduate or equivalent with training in equipment maintenance and management procedures at the DS/GS level of maintenance.
- 3 to 5 years, experience in equipment maintenance at the journeyman level. Commercial experience on Heavy/light vehicles.
Material & Equipment Directly Used:
- Diagnostic and test equipment; multi-meters, scanner, test set, material handling equipment, hand tools, test stands, and special tools.
Working Environment/ Physical Activities:
- Work is generally conducted in a shop environment. However, duties may involve the conduct of work in the out-of-doors area with a potential exposure to extreme climatic conditions. Work will require lifting up to 50 lbs; stooping; climbing; prolonged standing; prolonged sitting. Employee use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required is certain areas. Such PPE includes but is not limited to head, foot, hand, torso, respiratory, vision and hearing protective devices. Must comply with OSHA, EPA, Fire Regulations and published Company work rules. Must be able to deploy with Military unit if required during training exercise down range or National training center.
- Must wear steel toe shoes at all times.
Pay Rate: $29.58 per hour, plus applicable Health & Welfare fringe dollars as defined under the DOL's Wage Determination.
Benefits: The company offers a comprehensive benefits program, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) and a range of other voluntary benefits.
Paid Leave: Vacation, holiday and Sick Leave offered will be as defined under the DOL's Wage Determination.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender or gender-identity, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or parental status, or any other basis prohibited by law. If you are an individual with a disability, and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or [Register to View] (information about job applications status is not available at this contact information).
Job: Maintenance & Repair
Clearance: Not Applicable
Shift: Day Job
Work Type: On-Site
Req ID: AFO00192