Mechanic Apprentice-Reading PA (44884)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with Met-Ed, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp.[ME]
Market Rate: $31.54/HR
Partial Job Requirements (Complete requirements are outlined in the Job Specifications.)
- Time in Grade – one (1) year minimum and two (2) years maximum. Failure to meet the testing and performance requirements within this maximum time in grade will result in the employee being assigned to the classification of Utility Worker “A”.
- Must pass and maintain a Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), and a Class 7 PA State Inspection Certificate and Master Automobile ASE Tests within this maximum time in grade.
- Upon receipt of PA State Inspection Certificate will perform PA State Inspection and follow-up repairs on all trailers and vehicles less than 17,000 lbs.
- Will assist a Certified Mechanic or Chief Mechanic with aerial bucket liner and di-electric testing after they are provided appropriate training.
- Will respond to minor road calls involving vehicle lockouts on all vehicles as well as perform duties such as replacing flat tires, jump-start/replacement of batteries, light repair and fluid leaks on vehicles less than 17,000 lbs.
- Will perform minor installation and fabrication.
- Will perform PMA and PMB work on vehicles less than 17,000 lbs.
- Must have a Vo-Tech education in auto mechanics or pass an equivalency test as administered by the Company.
- Must pass the Master Automotive ASE testing no later than 24 months date of hire.
- Must be willing to work extra and/or irregular hours and/or a shift and/or a scheduled operation.
Apply at Firstenergycorp.com/careers
We administer selection tests for a variety of positions. The required tests have been developed by the Edison Electric Institute (EEI), a trade association of investor-owned electric utility companies. We strongly encourage potential employees to review all information, including the sample test brochures, and to use the available practice tests before taking the actual tests. Click this link to access the practice tests. You will be prompted for a name and password. Use firstenergy for both.
Practice tests provide sample questions and detailed discussions of the correct answers. It's important to take the practice test as you would the actual one, with similar intensity and concentration. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer.
Note: EEI website does not allow access to actual tests. Testing is held at various locations throughout our service territory based on where the job is located.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team