Rail Car Mechanic (Carman) - Harvey, ND (89544)
- Req ID: [[id]]
- Department: [[department]]
- Job Type: [[jobLevel]]
- Location: [[filter3]], [[filter2]]
- Country: [[filter1]]
- # of Positions: [[numberOpenings]]
- Compensation Rate: [[compensation]]
- Job Available to: [[jobAvailable]]
- Deadline to apply: [[closeDate]]
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
In this challenging role you will be a member of a team working in a high production environment performing preventative and corrective maintenance to Railcars.
- Repair, maintain and inspect freight car equipment in a safe and efficient manner;
- Perform all preventative maintenance work & repairs on trucks, underframe, structure, safety appliances, braking systems, draft systems and any associated tests;
- Perform all work associated with rush repairs, road work and supplementary service operation of equipment;
- Repair and application of all associated piping & valves, guards, shrouds, covers and any cutting, burning, welding, grinding, soldiering and brazing associated with removal or application of components;
- Work all around, under, between, on top and inside of rail cars.
- Must have a High School Diploma or General Equivalence Diploma;
- Must be able to obtain a CDL License within 60 days of hire;
- Preference will be given to those who possess a journeyman certification or are a journeyman welder;
- Boilermaker/ironworker would be an asset;
- Experience with heavy metal fabrication/welding would be an asset
- Must be able to work within strict established safety and work guidelines/rules to complete job;
- Strong problem solving and computer skills;
- You must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal;
- The Railway operates 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year; must be able to work on various shifts and on weekends and in adverse weather conditions.
- Applicant must have the ability, and be able to accept the responsibility of handling all phases of Car Department work, including knowledge of AAR and FRA rules.
- Must have knowledge of CIM/Webmail, AAR Billing procedures, repairs and be familiar with re-railing of railroad equipment.
- Will be on call 24 hours per day & must have a telephone.
- Must pass DOT physical.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Employer funded Retirement plan
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Part-time Studies program
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is considered a safety sensitive position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical evaluation that includes a vision, hearing, drug screening and pre-employment physical.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Last 3 years of driving history
- Last 7 years of employment history; includes military service
- Social Security number verification
CP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, inclusive of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.