Rail Car Mechanic (Carman)
- Req ID: [[id]]
- Department: [[filter6]]
- Job Type: [[jobLevel]]
- Position Type: [[relocationPack]]
- Location: [[filter3]], [[filter2]]
- Country: [[filter1]]
- # of Positions: [[numberOpenings]]
- Compensation Rate: [[compensation]]
- Job Available to: [[jobAvailable]]
- Deadline to apply: [[closeDate]]
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
In this challenging role, you will be a member of a team working in a high production environment performing preventative and corrective maintenance to Railcars.
- Repair, maintain and inspect freight car equipment in a safe and efficient manner;
- Perform all preventative maintenance work & repairs on trucks, underframe, structure, safety appliances, braking systems, draft systems and any associated tests;
- Perform all work associated with rush repairs, road work and supplementary service operation of equipment;
- Repair and application of all associated piping & valves, guards, shrouds, covers and any cutting, burning, welding, grinding, soldering and brazing associated with removal or application of components;
- Work all around, under, between, on top and inside of rail cars.
- Must have a High School Diploma or General Equivalent Diploma;
- Preference will be given to those who possess a journeyman certification, commercial driver’s license, journeyman welder;
- Boilermaker/ironworker would be an asset;
- Experience with heavy metal fabrication/welding would be an asset
- Must be able to work within strict established safety and work guidelines/rules to complete job;
- Strong problem solving and computer skills;
- You must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal;
- The Railway operates 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year; must be able to work on various shifts and on weekends in adverse weather conditions.
- We do background checks and due to the safety-sensitive nature of this position, you must not have had ANY drug or alcohol-related convictions or suspensions within the past 2 years and no more than 1 within the past 5 years. This includes minor consumption and DUI.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Employer Funded Retirement Plan
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Part-time Studies Program
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is a safety sensitive position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol and drug audit assessments. Qualification drug test(s) are also required.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
Criminal history check
Last 3 years of driving history
Last 7 years of employment history; includes military service
Social Security number verification
CP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, inclusive of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.