Merck Executive Director, Executive Communications in Kenilworth, New Jersey
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Our mission is to discover, develop and provide innovative products and services that save and improve lives around the world. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for more than a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Corporate Communications is a strong team of trusted advisors who partner to drive business value. We advance the mission of the company and create a cohesive picture of our work in the world by shaping its narrative. We drive consistency around the narrative and improve our corporate reputation as a result.
Through our strategic approach, we ensure our company is positioned for success, its value is understood, and its reputation is protected. Our involvement with the entirety of the business – as strategic counselors – gives us a wide-angle perspective that we use to optimize opportunities, mitigate risk and achieve the company’s goals. We align as a cohesive team with shared goals and a clear picture of the results we pursue.
Reporting to the Vice President of Corporate Communications, the Executive Director of Executive Communications will serve as the primary speechwriter for the company’s Chief Executive Officer and will assist in the preparation and management of all aspects of the CEO’s internal and external communications, advise on strategic communications and objectives, and prepare compelling and insightful research and writing on topics of interest and of business importance to the CEO based on the direction of the VP, Corporate Communications. This includes: speeches, talking points, background/situational analyses, reports, presentations quotes, Op Eds, and occasional articles, and digital and social communications. The ability to capture the personality, vision and passion of the Chief Executive Officer for a variety of audiences is critical for this role.
This role will work closely with the CEO’s Chief of Staff to manage and coordinate the details of all CEO public appearances, internal and external presentations, and meetings with investors, government officials and regulators around the world.
In addition, working closely with the Executive Director, Leadership Communications and his/her team, the Executive Director, Executive Communications is responsible for developing content themes and strategic messaging platforms to support Merck’s leadership team in their communications with all internal and external stakeholders.
We are seeking a strong communicator with a deep understanding of global business issues and a curiosity about the culture of invention that drives the business every day. This key role engages senior leadership and subject matter experts across our businesses and functions as well as external stakeholders to ensure a uniformed approach to internal and external executive communications.
· Develop the strategy to manage all in-bound requests on behalf of Executive communications related to speaking engagements, public appearances, bilateral meetings, speeches, and employee engagements, in coordination with the CEO’s Chief of Staff.
· Write and manage editorial projects and provide editorial shaping and positioning on speeches and other content.
· Lead the execution of Executive communications plan, ensuring all communications efforts elevate the company brand, support CEO messages, and align with the overall business strategy.
· Develop strategic messaging for the CEO based on the company's corporate narrative, business strategy and opportunities, and aligned with the goals of each appearance.
· Provide insightful research on topics of interest to the CEO, provide detailed briefing documents on other business leaders, government officials, world leaders, and academics and other members of civil society prior to meeting with the CEO.
· Build and maintain strong working relationships with C-suite executives and the members of their offices, including the executive communications team.
· Work collaboratively with the full executive communications team.
· Ensure all deadlines set by the CEO across all offices are delivered on time.
· Manage approvals of communications requests for the CEO, as well as other executives as required.
DESIRED SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
· Understanding of global business, macroeconomic, regulatory, and social issues which may have an impact on our business.
· Ability to communicate with, advise, and collaborate with senior corporate executives, including the CEO.
· Strong organizational skills, ability to juggle in-bound requests from both external and internal stakeholders, including senior leadership, global leaders, and the media.
· Superior writing/communications skills.
· Understanding of internal/executive communications practices.
· Bachelor’s degree in communications, economics, or business
· Experience advising C-Suite executives, senior leadership, and external stakeholders on communications strategy.
· 15-20 years of communications experience, preferably in a publicly traded company.
· At least two years of speech writing experience.
· Experience in a highly regulated industry a plus.
· Ability to travel frequently, both domestically and internationally.
· Team player, collaborative and proactive, able to manage a high-energy environment and multiple deadlines with a positive, can-do attitude.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC Poster at https://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocselfprint_poster.pdf
EEOC GINA Supplement at https://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocginasupplement.pdf
OFCCP EEO Supplement at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCPEEOSupplementFinalJRFQA508c.pdf
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp%20EnglishformattedESQA508c.pdf
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:
Requisition ID: R7432
- Merck Jobs