Indian Health Service Environmental Engineer in Lakeside, Arizona
Environmental Engineer for an OEHE District Office located at Polacca, Lakeside, San Carlos, or Whiteriver, AZ; Reno, NV; or Winterhaven, CA and will report to the District Engineer at each site.
This position is being announced concurrently under Delegated Examining procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-18-PX-10304613-DE; for eligibility requirements. NOTE:Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Learn more about this agency
- Plans, designs and provides construction management associated with the provision of community and individual water supplies, waste water and solid waste facilities.
- Prepares cost estimates at the planning and design stage to develop project budgets and cost controls and has frequent contacts with a wide range of governmental agencies, individuals, contractors and tribal groups.
- Performs land surveys for rights-of-way and easements and construction surveys to establish line and grade for various sanitary facilities and oversees the construction inspection for sanitation facilities projects including quality control and measurement of quantities installed.
- Investigates, conducts and writes technical reports for the tribes regarding associated environmental engineering activities.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel to other service units for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
0819 Environmental Engineering
- Engineers, Environmental
- Engineers, Soil
- Environmental Engineers
Conditions of Employment
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
- ESEP appointees typically serve a two year trial period.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Selectee may be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): 1. Degree:Engineering. To be acceptable, the program must: (1) lead to a bachelor's degree in a school of engineering with at least one program accredited by ABET; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics; OR 2. Combination of education and experience: college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following: * Professional registration or licensure -- Current registration as an Engineer Intern (EI), Engineer in Training (EIT)1, or licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE) by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico. * Written Test --Evidence of having successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE)2 examination or any other written test required for professional registration by an engineering licensure board in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico. * Specified academic courses --Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and that included the courses specified in the basic requirements under paragraph 1. * Related curriculum -- Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in an appropriate scientific field, e.g., engineering technology, physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a bachelor's degree in engineering, provided the applicant has had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:In addition to the Basic Requirements above, all applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications for the positions:
GS-07 Grade Level: * 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: reviewing preliminary engineering designs for new or improved sanitation facilities such as water and wastewater treatment facilities, water and wastewater pumping stations, sanitary sewer collection systems, water distribution systems, and water supply facilities; preparing engineering calculations; and visiting construction worksites to observe condition of sanitation facilities; OR * Bachelor's degree in an engineering program with Superior Academic Achievement. One of the following three needs to be met for Superior Academic Achievement: (1) Class Standing- upper third of the graduating class. (2) Grade-Point Average- 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 as recorded on official transcript, or based on courses completed during final 2 years of curriculum; OR 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 based on average of required courses completed in major, or required courses in major completed during the final 2 years of curriculum. (3) Honor Society Membership- election to membership in a national scholastic honor society; OR * One full year of graduate level education in a field which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of a position, such as: environmental engineering or a closely related engineering field; OR * A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. GS-09 Grade Level: * 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: designing new or improved sanitation facilities such as water and wastewater treatment facilities, water and wastewater pumping stations, sanitary sewer collection systems, water distribution systems, and water supply facilities; performing contract management and oversight of sanitation project requirements; evaluating sanitation facility designs and specifications to ensure conformance with project requirements and budget; and visiting construction worksites to inspect sanitation facilities; OR * Master's degree in engineering or a related field ORequivalent graduate degree OR two full years of graduate level education leading to a master's degree in engineering or a related field which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work of a position; OR * A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. Time-In-Grade Requirements:Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave is earned.
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 1 year service agreement will be required.
This position has promotion potential up to the GS-09 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- This position is covered by Public Law 101-630, the Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Protection Act (25 United States Code Chapter 34) requiring contact or control over Indian children. Due to this law, the agency must ensure that persons hired for these positions have not been found guilty of or pleaded nolo contendere or guilty to certain crimes.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities. IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications required and on the extent to which your application shows that you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with this position. To determine if you are qualified for this position, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against the qualifications as defined in the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement and your responses to the assessment questions. You will be further evaluated/rated based on the information provided in your resume (your resume must state specific duties that relate to this position) and your responses to the assessment questions to determine your competency in the following:
- Engineering and Technology
- Oral Communication
- Planning and Evaluating
You will receive a numeric rating based on your responses to the assessment questionnaires. If after reviewing your resume and responses to the assessment questions, a determination is made that you have overstated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration.
The following links below provide information on how you may be eligible for various hiring authorities. If you are a Veteran, qualified CTAP and ICTAP eligible, or an individual with a disability, please refer to the following links below for additional guidance: * Veterans , i.e. (VEOA, VRA, and 30% or more disabled) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide/ * Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) - https://www.ihs.gov/jobs/supporting-documents/permanentDocs/ctap.doc * Interagency Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ * Schedule A Appointments for the Disabled - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/disability-employment/hiring/ Click here to view vacancy questions:https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10304612 . All documents above MUST be received by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date of 09/28/2018, to be considered.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Drug test required
- Required Documents
Required Documentation for Eligibility and Preference:
- Resume: You are highly encouraged to use USAJOBS Resume Builder to ensure all required information is included in your Resume. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that includes beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed, annual salary, and description of job duties. Include name and address of employer; supervisor name and telephone number.
- Indian Preference Applicants: If claiming Indian preference, applicants must provide a completed copy of the Form BIA-4432, "Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only." Indian preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated form is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA Official of tribal enrollment records. For detailed instructions, see form BIA-4432. Refer to BIA-4432 link: https://www.bia.gov/sites/bia.gov/files/assets/public/raca/onlineforms/pdf/IndianPref1076-0160Exp3-31-21.pdf. When an Indian Preference candidate possesses Veterans' preference the rules regarding Veterans' preference apply under ESEP and the applicant must provide documentation in order to receive preference.
- Veterans Preference: If claiming Veteran's Preference provide a copy of your DD214 Form (Member 4 copy). To claim 10-Point Veteran's Preference, submit a SF-15 Application (http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdffill/SF15.pdf) along with the appropriate supporting documentation. For additional information regarding Veterans Preference visit: www.fedshirevets.gov
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP):If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP, follow the instructions below: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctapguideline.pdf.
- Current or former Federal employee: Include your most recent SF50 or if Reinstatement eligible include your Career SF-50.
- Noncompetitive eligibles:submit additional documents to prove your eligibility to apply to this vacancy.
- Transcripts: unofficial transcripts are acceptable, however, official transcripts will be required before entrance on duty. Your application package MUST be complete by 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) on 09/28/2018, the closing of this announcement.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below. Click 'Apply' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. 1. Follow the prompts to upload required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire. 2. Please ensure you click the 'Submit Application' button to submit your application. 3. Applications must be received by the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration. 4. Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Home, then click the Job Title to expand the details. Return to an incomplete application by clicking Apply Online in the vacancy announcement and re-selecting your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account.
The IHS provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office (Rowena Valadez, (602) 364-5224 X5224, and/or Rowena.Valadez@ihs.gov.) The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
For additional questions please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) found here: https://www.ihs.gov/jobs/index.cfm?module=faq
Agency contact information
(602) 364-5224 X5224
Phoenix OEHE Group 40 N Central Avenue Phoenix, AZ 85004 US
Learn more about this agency
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJobs account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJobs that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJobs Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
**If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed are received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer **
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/510938000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 09/14/2018 to 09/28/2018
Pay scale & grade: GS 7 - 9
Salary: $46,609 to $70,173 per year
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time