HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Charge RN-Inpatient Psychiatric Facility-Nights in Las Vegas, Nevada
Southern Hills Hospital is located in Southwest Las Vegas just off the I-215 and Durango/Sunset exit. The facility is an accredited 180-bed acute care hospital providing emergency and pediatric emergency services, a behavioral health (geriatric psychiatric) inpatient and outpatient program serving ages 50 and older, accredited Chest Pain Center, a Certified Primary Stroke Center, a dedicated orthopedic and spine unit, OB-GYN, Level II NICU, diagnostic imaging and surgical services. Southern Hills Hospital *was *voted the Best Hospital in Las Vegas.
Utilizing advanced digital technology and an accomplished medical staff, Southern Hills Hospital's advanced care and superior service make for better outcomes and an exceptional patient experience.
The Joint Commission, the leading accreditor of healthcare organizations in America, recognized Southern Hills Hospital as a /Top Performer on Key Quality Measures®/ for 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 - the only Southern Nevada hospital to earn this recognition for four consecutive years.
- Southern Hills Hospital is the first institution in the state of Nevada to be recognized by the American Heart Association as a leading hospital in cardiology through their compliance with the “Get with the Guidelines - Heart Failure” program.
- In addition, Southern Hills Hospital earned The Joint Commission's Gold Seal of Approval® for its Alzheimer's disease program by demonstrating compliance with The Joint Commission's national standards for health care quality and safety in disease-specific care.
- We have also partnered with award-winning spine physicians from the Nevada Neurosciences Institute.
Join us as we achieve our mission statement:
/Above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life.///
POSITION SUMMARY: The charge nurse is a registered professional nurse who participates as an active member of the Nursing Team on the assigned unit/department. The charge nurse assumes responsibility for coordinating safe, efficient, and therapeutically effective nursing care for patients on the assigned unit/department. Principle responsibilities include participating in strategic planning, service delivery, program development, evaluation and implementation, budget and resource management, cost control, contract compliance and quality improvement. In addition, the charge nurse supports patient safety initiatives and quality improvement activities.
The charge nurse maintains current competency with nursing skills required for the assigned unit/department, and demonstrates knowledge regarding Standards of Care and Standards of Practice in the assigned area. He/She demonstrates knowledge of principles of growth & development over life span, and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of patient status, and to interpret the data appropriately to identify patient requirements specific to the patient’s age. The charge nurse remains calm in crisis and emergency situations, and directs staff members effectively and appropriately. The charge nurse maintains professional and effective working relationships with all members of the Health Care Team. The charge nurse demonstrates judgment, discretion, diplomacy and a working knowledge of Hospital and Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules and Regulations, and Policies and Procedures.
*Duties *(included but not limited to):
- Demonstrates expertise in mental health promotion and maintenance of high quality, comprehensive patient care
- Participates in the counseling and evaluation of nursing staff in an objective, consistent and timely manner.
- Anticipates and resolves staff conflict at the program level.
- Reviews referrals for admissions and makes timely decisions based off of the information presented
- Monitors and ensures compliance with policies and procedures.
- Attends charge nurse and other staff meetings
- Displays effective communication skills as evidenced by the ability to maintain therapeutic relationships with patients, families, physicians and staff.
- Is able to set limits as needed by recognizing potential behavior problems and does so in a caring and consistent manner.
- Utilizes knowledge of growth and development, psychopathology, and psychosocial systems.
- Has an accurate knowledge of psycho-dynamics and therapeutic processes as demonstrated by effective intervention and resolution of problems as they occur, and communication of the processes to others.
- Displays understanding of family dynamics by responding appropriately to family members when needed.
- Has a comprehensive knowledge of existing policies and procedures and utilizes the standards stated as evidenced by independent functioning and carrying out the philosophy of the Nursing Department.
- Consistently documents in the medical record all pertinent clinical information on a daily basis and as set forth in policy and procedure manual.
- Utilizes the nursing process, which includes assessment, diagnosis, planning, intervention and evaluation.
- Consistently completes all nursing assessments accurately with timeframes set forth in policy and procedure manual.
- Participate in the initiation of master treatment plan along with other key program staff.
- Attend treatment planning meetings and conferences to participate in patient’s treatment process and progress.
- Participate in discharge planning and referrals.
- Utilizes treatment plan as means to communicate care to entire clinical team.
- Demonstrates professional skills and performs the tasks needed to maintain a therapeutic milieu and optimum patient care.
- Examines physician orders for completeness, accuracy, clarity and questions when appropriate. Correctly transcribes orders and documents implementation.
- Administers prescribed treatment and medications correctly.
- Documents administration of medication and treatments completely and accurately on the Medication Administration Record and progress notes in the medical record.
- Is privileged in restraint/seclusion and follows hospital policy.
- Displays competency in medical aspects of patient care as evidenced by recognizing signs and symptoms of medical conditions, intervening appropriately and documenting adequately in the Treatment Plan and progress notes.
- Conducts patient groups as evidenced by documentation in patient’s medical record.
- Demonstrates behavior that is consistent with leadership.
- Demonstrates good organizational skills based on the needs of the patients and program as evidenced by following through on assigned tasks in a smooth and effective manner and determining priorities.
- Has a basic understanding of appropriate staffing patterns and nursing care hours and able to maintain appropriate levels in absence of Nurse Manager.
- Assumes supervision of nursing staff when directed by Nurse Manager.
- Demonstrates skills in admission, discharge and transfer of patients.
- Demonstrates a professional attitude and emotional stability when coping with stress, accepting guidance and evaluating own performance.
- Acts as a role model, by utilizing professional standards, motivating peers and co-workers, stimulating growth and development in others.
- Responsible for maintaining upgraded knowledge in psychiatric nursing by engaging in activities that will enhance current knowledge base.
- Attends unit meetings as specified by Nurse Manager in order to receive current information, and assists the Nurse Manager in communication of this information to other staff members.
- Complete all competency requirements in a timely manner.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned by Nurse Manager.
- Helps promote program through referral development and community education events as assigned by Nurse Manager.
EDUCATION: * Graduate of an accredited school of nursing or equivalent EXPERIENCE: * Prefer one year minimum of psychiatric nursing experience as a registered nurse in the specialty area of psychiatry CERTIFICATION/LICENSE: * Hold a license to practice as a RN in the appropriate state * BLS certified
Job: *Nursing - Professional
Title: Charge RN-Inpatient Psychiatric Facility-Nights
Location: Nevada-Las Vegas-Southern Hills Hospital and Medical Center
Requisition ID: 08967-4895