Farmers Insurance CU Accountant I in Los Angeles, California
We are Farmers!
Join a team of diverse professionals at Farmers to acquire skills on the job and apply your learned knowledge to future roles at Farmers. Farmers Insurance also offers extensive training opportunities through the award winning University of Farmers named by Training magazine amongst top 10 corporate training units in the world.
Want to learn more about our culture & opportunities? Check out farmers.com/careers and be sure to follow us on Instagram and LinkedIn ! To learn more about the Credit Union visit www.figfcu.com .
Job Summary Maintains, controls, analyzes and interprets accounting records and prepares financial and tax statements for the home office Credit Union.
Essential Job Functions
- Reconciles the daily Plastic Card (ATM/Debit/Credit Card) and Shared Branching transactions.
- Ensures that all exception and dispute transactions accurately post to the proper general ledger and member accounts.
- Investigates and resolves all fund settlement differences.
- Correctly records data in the Accounting application and communicates with Card Services, Back Office Departments, and third party processors as necessary to research and resolve outstanding items.
- Ensures timely resolution of outstanding items to minimize the financial impact on the monthly financial reports.
- Reconciles the monthly bank statements with the general ledger cash accounts and the daily general ledger suspense or clearing accounts.
- Prepares the outstanding items report, investigates, and resolves all outstanding issues.
- Communicates with external contacts and other departments as necessary. Compiles & prepares the annual property tax forms, monthly/quarterly/annual federal and state tax withholding forms and remits payments by the required due dates.
- Ensures compliance and prevents late filing penalties and interest.
- Investigates and resolves variances between the GL records and the supporting documentation. Investigates and responds to any regulatory notices regarding tax withholding reporting issues.
- Analyzes the daily cash box reports for the branches and other departments.
- Investigates and resolves all Electronic Transfer differences.
- Communicates with the staff at the branches and other departments/groups and their respective Supervisor if necessary.
- Maintains independent control of the Accounts Payable process and reviews the vendor invoices, expense coding, payment authorizations, and check issuances.
- Ensures compliance with the Board approved Accounts Payable policy and reports any issues to the Controller.
Prepares correspondences and sends notifications to members with staled official checks. Ensures compliance with the unclaimed properties policies and responds to member inquires on their stale dated checks.
Physical Actions Required job duties are essentially sedentary work consisting of occasional walking, standing and lifting and/or carrying ten pounds maximum.
Physical Environment Required job duties are normally performed in a climate-controlled office environment.
Education Requirements High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree preferred in Accounting, Finance, Economic or related field required, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience Requirements Six months of Accounting-related work experience required
Special Skill Requirement Strong computer skills and proficiency including but not limited to Office products (Excel, Access, Word, etc.)
Strong analytical and technical skills
Ability to think through and solve simple business problems with supervisor guidance as needed
Farmers is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce.
Job: *Strategic Management & Administration
Organization: *Farmers Insurance
Title: CU Accountant I
Location: California-Los Angeles
Requisition ID: 190009AD