HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Pharmacy Operations Manager in Margate, Florida
The Pharmacy Operations Manager is responsible for supporting the Director of Pharmacy in managing the pharmacy operations. This includes implementation and enforcement of policies and procedures, supervision and training of staff, inventory management, quality assurance and regulatory compliance. The OperationsManagers shall also assist in managing the pharmacy when the Pharmacy Director is unavailable.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (included but not limited to):
- Interpret orders and transcribes or verifies them accurately and efficiently into the pharmacy computer system.
- Accurately compounds and dispense pharmaceuticals.
- Complies with facility policy and procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Monitor drug therapy regimens for contraindications, drug-drug interactions, drug-food interactions, allergies and appropriateness of drug and dose.
- Provide clinical consultation and clarification to practitioners.
- Suggests appropriate, cost-effective therapeutic alternatives to medical staff as needed.
- Sustain the hospital formulary, minimizing nonformulary procurements, utilizing therapeutic interchanges and promotes rational drug therapy selection.
- Provide accurate and timely medication information to healthcare staff and patients.
- Document all clinical activities and interventions accurately and completely.
- Responsible for mentoring and education as well as ongoing analysis of interventions to insure accurate and appropriate documentation and provides summary reports.
- Support and participate in the goals of the organization’s quality improvement, risk management and patient safety program to include but not limited to National Patient Safety Goals, Core measures and HCAHPS medication related initiatives.
- Responsible for design, analysis and reporting of adverse drug reactions, medication errors and pharmacy quality initiatives.
- Mentors others in their roles for these programs.
- Develop and actively participate in training and mentorship programs for pharmacists, pharmacy students, residents, technicians, nurses and physicians.
- Responsible for assessment of participants in these programs.
- Develop and document staff competency on an ongoing basis and develops improvement plans when deficiencies in competencies are identified.
- Primary preceptor for pharmacy students and/or residents as it relates to clinical pharmacy services.
- Responsible for designing and managing program and mentoring student/resident as well as other preceptors.
- Maintain professional competency sufficient to meet current and future needs of the facility
- Develop and manages specialty pharmacy practice programs as related to operational and regulatory/quality pharmacy services.
- Provide technical support for automated dispensing machines and other pharmacy computer systems.
- Effectively and proactively intervene in conflicts between pharmacy and medical staff regarding drug therapy issue resolutions.
- Train and participate with Disaster Team drills and real-event response as assigned.
- Train and participate with Code Teams as assigned.
- Obtain and maintain BLS-ACLS or PALS current certification as appropriate.
- Maintain appropriate controlled substance records.
- Work with the Pharmacy Director to identify and develop processes to meet or exceed all controlled substance diversion prevention and monitoring standards.
- Participate in controlled substance reviews and audits.
- Comply with all regulatory standards.
- Work with the Pharmacy Director to identify and develop processes to meet or exceed all regulatory standards.
- Participate in quality and regulatory reviews and audits.
- Prioritize work and lead others to comply with facility medication turn-around time policy and procedure.
- Identify areas for improved efficiency.
- Assists in implementation of process changes.
- Supervise and assist pharmacy technicians and other support staff effectively.
- Work with the director to establish pharmacy goals and objectives and responsible for implementation and monitoring.
- Participate with various nursing and medical staff committees as necessary.
- Responsible in conjunction with pharmacy director and clinical manager for staff performance evaluations.
- Act as manager in charge as assigned.
- Assist with the preparation of the pharmacy newsletter and/or other forms of written and electronic communication.
- Responsible for managing the drug formulary by insuring operational and inventory efficient processes are in place and followed.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, and monitoring of pharmacy operations and share clinical initiatives responsibility with Clinical Pharmacy Manager.
- Responsible for the development and review of pharmacy policies and procedures.
- Participate in the design and update of pharmacy computer system programs relating to pharmacy, nursing and physician programs.
- Participate in the maintenance of pharmacy dictionaries including adding new drugs to the drug dictionary and Gold Standard formulary Charge Master Maintenance.
- Oversight of staff schedules.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Practice and adhere to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Organization – proactively prioritizes needs and effectively manages resources
- Communication – communicates clearly and concisely
- Judgment – Makes decisions based upon job knowledge and experience. Considers all impacted areas in decision process. Seeks advice where applicable. Judgment sensible and reliable.
- Customer Orientation – establishes and maintains long-term customer relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting or exceeding expectations.
- Interpersonal Skills – able to work effectively with other employees, patients and external parties
- PC Skills – demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office, Meditech, and purchasing vendor applications and others as required
- Policies and Procedures – articulates knowledge and understanding of organizational policies, procedures and Systems
- B.S. or PharmD from an ACPE-accredited School of Pharmacy, a Doctor of Pharmacy from an ACPE-accredited college of pharmacy is preferred
- Minimum 1 year as a Pharmacy Clinical/Operations Specialist or one of the following:
- At least 5 years of hospital pharmacy experience required; preferably within area of focus
- Completion of hospital PGY2/ pharmacy specialty residency or fellowship
- Other certification (e.g. FCCP, FASHP)
- Hospital Pharmacy Management experience is preferred
- Active pharmacist license in good standing with the appropriate State Board of Pharmacy
- Active Pharmacy Consultant license or equivalent as per State requirements for a Pharmacy Director/Pharmacist in Charge
/PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS –//Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Requires lifting papers or boxes up to 50 pounds occasionally. May be exposed to toxic/caustic/chemicals/detergents. Work is an office or pharmacy environment. Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people. Staff must remain flexible and available to provide staffing assistance for any/all disaster or emergency situations./ / / /OSHA CATEGORY –//The normal work routine involves no exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues (although situations can be imagined or hypothesized under which anyone, anywhere, might encounter potential exposure to body fluids). Persons who perform these duties are not called upon as part of their employment to perform or assist in emergency care or first aid, or to be potentially exposed in some other way./ / / #HTrustBCOM
Job: *Pharmacy & Pharmacy Tech
Title: Pharmacy Operations Manager
Location: Florida-Margate-Northwest Medical Center - North Broward County
Requisition ID: 08751-16429