HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Director, Safety Transformation Education in Nashville, Tennessee
*Are you looking for a company that places integrity over their bottom line? Here at HCA Healthcare, our everyday decisions are founded on compassion. Apply today and join a team that is dedicated to serving others in need.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.* * About HCA Healthcare*
HCA Healthcare is a comprehensive healthcare network where 265,000 people across more than 1,800 care facilities are all committed to creating a positive impact every day. It’s an organization that exists to give people healthier tomorrows. Our scale enables caregivers to deliver great outcomes for patients and gives colleagues unparalleled opportunities to learn and grow. Most importantly, as a part of HCA Healthcare we’re connected to something bigger, which means more resources, more solutions and more possibilities for everyone who walks through our doors. What matters most to our diverse and talented colleagues is giving people the absolute best healthcare possible. Every day, we seek to raise the bar higher, not just for ourselves, but for healthcare everywhere.
The Clinical Services Group (CSG) is a multi-disciplinary team of physicians, nurses, clinicians, technicians and analysts who represent all dimensions of a learning healthcare system. CSG works in support of HCA Healthcare Divisions and Facilities to promote clinically-excellent, patient-centered care. We foster collaborative and innovative practices to resolve complex clinical issues. As the healthcare landscape continues to change, CSG will remain at the forefront of developing new strategies, tools and tactics to fulfill HCA Healthcare’s mission.
We offer you an excellent total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefit package and growth opportunities. We believe in our team and your ability to do excellent work with us. Your benefits include 401k, PTO medical, dental, flex spending, life, disability, tuition reimbursement, employee discount program, employee stock purchase program and student loan repayment. We would love to talk to you about this fantastic opportunity.
** *The Director, Safety Transformation is an influential leader who embeds improvement capability at the bedside through education and development of patient safety leaders. The Director, Safety Transformation uses concepts of psychological safety and culture of safety foundational principles to change mindset around reporting and transparency of event analysis. The Director, Safety Transformation will lead serious safety event reporting and analysis efforts that will support process improvement and evolution of a safety culture across the enterprise. The Director, Safety Transformation enhances the ability of the organization to achieve safe, quality patient care outcomes across the continuum. This leadership role will facilitate a culture of safety utilizing leader development, event analysis and clinical risk mitigation to support the reduction of medical/healthcare errors and unintended adverse patient outcomes. This individual will play a key role in enhancing value to customers, partners and collaborators. The individual will work with clinical leaders and the patient safety organization (PSO) to ensure best practice for learning from adverse events and promoting an overall culture of safety and the tenets of the learning health system. Reports to the AVP, Safety Engineer.
- Develops and implements a patient safety and clinical risk curriculum with emphasis on high reliability, safety science and reliable design principles to equip leaders with process improvement and systems design skills to utilize toward elimination of avoidable harm across the organization.
- Oversees enterprise-wide safety event management and analysis including review of serious safety events.
- Provides collaborative leadership and content expertise to support root cause analysis.
- Communicates identified organizational vulnerabilities to key leaders.
- Participates in dissemination of learnings and best practices throughout the enterprise.
- Analyzes and consults on patient safety and clinical risk management.
- Monitors and analyzes safety event metrics and trends to ensure areas needing attention are communicated to applicable stakeholders.
- Serves as an expert resource for safety science training and patient safety leadership development.
- Encourages positive response to new opportunities identified for promoting event reporting and safe culture development.
- Performs aggregate review and analysis of safety events, collaborating with facilities, divisions, corporate stakeholders and HCI.
- Utilizes systems thinking and high reliability principles to guide patient safety leaders in creation of an environment where proactive patient safety activities identify and anticipate potential problems, detect them early, and respond in advance of an event to prevent adverse outcomes.
- Assists with the strategy and deployment of the HCA Healthcare Safety Improvement Learning System. This would include a standardized approach to safety alerts, recalls, learnings from event analyses, etc.
7 years of patient safety, quality, risk management or performance improvement experience required
Bachelor’s degree required; Clinical background required. Master’s degree preferred in Nursing, Quality & Safety, Health Care Administration, MBA or related field
Certification in Patient Safety (CPPS) and Certification in Risk Management (CPHRM) highly desirable. Additional Certifications relating to process excellence (Baldrige examiner, lean certification, black belt certification) highly desirable
Strong oral and written communication skills Organization and problem solving skills, attention to details Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects and due dates Ability to work independently Ability to verbally communicate concepts, motivate, influence and inspire others. Understanding of tools and techniques used to identify system or process failures that contribute to patient safety issues such as Root Cause Analysis, Failure Mode and Effect Analysis, Apparent Cause Analysis desired. High level proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required; Visio preferred Excellent group and process facilitation skills
Travel 10 – 20% *
Job: *Directors & Managers
Title: Director, Safety Transformation Education
Location: Tennessee-Nashville-Corporate Main Campus
Requisition ID: 10201-29142