Northwell Health Blood Bank Technologist (Per Diem) - Saturdays in New York, New York
Req Number 001QHB
Job Category Laboratory
Processes various blood samples in accordance with the Blood Bank's policies and procedures for inpatient and outpatient. Issues blood components following established guidelines.
Accessions and registers requests on patient specimens for tests and products. Performs blood group and rh type (ABO/RH) and antibody identification by using reagents, tubes, centrifuge to read and interpret results and then enter the results into the computer. Performs cross-match of patient specimens and donor blood for transfusion by using tubes, centrifuge, and specimens from patients and donors. Performs all other immunhematology tests as requested according to standard operating procedure.
Prepares and labels components made from blood such as packed red cells, pedi paks, washing red cells, thawing frozen products, pooling products and irradiating products according to standard operating procedure.
Issues blood products upon request by performing an accurate clerical check of patient and donor information by cross-referencing requests with Blood Bank files according to standard operating procedure.
Processes donor blood from Lenox Hill Donor Center and from outside sources by accessioning and labeling with appropriate blood types and entering into the computer.
Performs Quality Control and inventory check of reagents and equipment as required according to the standard operating procedures.
Performs related duties, as required.
• High School Diploma or equivalent, required. Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology, Basic Science or related field, preferred.
• Licensed by New York State Education Department (NYSED) as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist, required.
• Certification by American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP), preferred.
• Minimum of two (2) years work experience as a Blood Bank Technologist, preferred.
• Knowledge of centrifuges, incubators, microscopes, IBM RBC washer, refrigerators, freezers, thawing water bath, blood cell irradiator, blood warmer, and Hemocare Blood Bank computer system, required.