HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Lactation Consultant RN PRN in Pasadena, Texas
Bayshore Medical Center – Pasadena, TX
Nestled in the heart of the historic land where Texas won its independence, Bayshore Medical Center offers comfort, convenience, excellence and expertise to our neighbors who trust their health care to us.
For nearly 50 years, we have offered patients solace and security through constant, compassionate communication during their medical emergencies, surgeries, and diagnostic procedures. As a 345-bed facility, we employ 1,500 staff and 250 physicians.
Bayshore Medical Center is currently looking for a Lactation Consultant.
The Lactation Consultant provides skilled direct lactation care and instruction to breastfeeding mothers and infants throughout the healthcare facility. Promotes breastfeeding and assists with facilitating change within the clinical setting using evidence-based care management. Performs initial and on-going assessments of the patient's lactation goals and issues. Takes patient histories, performs breast and feeding evaluations, develops treatment plans and makes appropriate referrals as indicated. Designs and implements education programs and community outreach activities.
- Able to demonstrate a systematic and thorough evaluation of the family's adaption based upon family systems theory.
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgement and the ability to work independently and set priorities.
- Ability to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Able to plan and evaluate care and support to the mother in her chosen method of infant feeding.
- Accurately documents in the patient’s record a description of the nursing care provided.
- Administers medication in a safe, knowledgeable and accurate manner. Follows laws, regulations, and hospital policy as it relates to controlled substances.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of care for assigned patients, including discharge planning, utilizing an interdisciplinary team approach.
- Respects the patient’s privacy and maintains confidentiality of health care and other information.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required.
- Completes and demonstrates proficiency with unit based clinical and age-appropriate nursing competencies.
- Complies with applicable hospital policy/procedure.
- Ethics and Compliance. Accountable for behaviors relative to the values articulated in the Mission & Values Statement – “Will act with absolute honesty, integrity and fairness in the way we conduct our business and the way we live our lives.” Accountable for attending annual Code of Conduct training.
- Participates in hospital performance improvement activities to improve safety and patient outcomes.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Plans and coordinates patient/family teaching and assesses understanding of information provided.
- Develops, implements and assures current evidence based teaching for childbirth and neonatal care classes.
- Promotes maternal-newborn attachment including encouraging examining, touching, talking to the newborn, keeping the couplet together as much as possible, providing information about newborn behavior states, sleeping and waking patterns and comforting strategies.
- Provides care and treatment that reflects appropriate infection control techniques and universal precautions.
- Respects the rights of patients to include their cultural, psychosocial, and spiritual values.
- Responsible for knowing and complying with the rules and regulations relating to the education, licensure and practice of the professional nurse as set forth in the Nurse Practice Act, Texas Occupations Code and/or other statutes and regulations relating to the practice of professional nursing.
- Supports the vision, mission and values of the hospital.
- Promotes facilities goal to utilize and support the Texas Ten Step Program through the certification process as a method to improve maternity care practice.
*POSITION REQUIREMENTS: * /License / Certifications / Requirements /
- Current Texas licensure with State Board of Nurse Examiners
- Current BLS (Basic Life Support) and NRP. Candidates without NRP are eligible for employment but must complete certification at the first available opportunity, not to exceed four (4) months from the date of hire.
- IBCLC-RLC or Breast Feeding Educator Certification.
1. Graduation from an accredited school of nursing required.
/Experience: / 1. One year as a Lactation Consultant or adult educator preferred.
Job: *Education Training & Professional Development
Title: Lactation Consultant RN PRN
Location: Texas-Pasadena-Bayshore Medical Center - Pasadena
Requisition ID: 00009-96727