Comcast Architect - Cloud Engineering in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast shapes the future at the intersection of media and technology. Comcast provides one of the kind entertainment platform, High Speed Data platform, and Internet of Things services including Home Security services. We create world-class experiences that people love and trust and drive innovation that builds value. We bring millions TV and entertainment, sports and news, communications and home management, theme parks, home security, Voice, and high speed Internet access. Comcast brings to life the best of what's to come. Comcast brings Entertainment, Internet, Voice, and other services to the customers via the largest footprint of networks in the country. 20M On-Demand video are streamed daily, 8200 Video and Audio Channels are streamed daily across the country, 167M phone calls are made and 153M messages are send daily on our network. Comcast supports more than 800K route miles or network pipeline.
The Cloud Automation team delivers automation tools and technology that powers Comcast's internal cloud, and provides solutions to accelerate development & adoption of cloud-based products and services. We build our tools to enable customers to build and manage their hosts in the private and public clouds used by Comcast. We are in many ways an applied research organization: taking cutting-edge technical concepts and delivering them as new capabilities through modern, robust engineering practices. As an Architect, you will be a full-time contributor to the team, having the opportunity to influence design and implementation on a regular basis.
We are seeking an Architect, Cloud Engineering with a broad technical background and well developed business acumen to help us create our next generation cloud automation tools using cutting edge technology. Come join us!
- Producing technical designs and documentation at varying levels of granularity.
- Performing code reviews and providing technical guidance to the team.
- Always looking for operational bottlenecks in the workflow and applying engineering practices to eliminate or reduce the bottlenecks with automation or process improvements
- Collaborating with peer and stakeholder teams to provide outstanding customer service.
- Working with product development teams to assist them in meeting their business goals through application of cloud automation technologies.
- Providing guidance and accepting accountability for the performance and reliability of various cross-platform applications and services; ensures that failures are rectified in a timely manner.
- Performing analysis and optimization of production systems.
- Planning and design of scalable solutions.
- Serving as an ambassador of Cloud Automation team to the broader technical community, both inside and outside Comcast, via a combination of authorship of technical papers, journal articles, and/or blog posts; and delivering presentations at technical conferences, meetups, user groups, etc.
- Driving issues through to closure: engaging all appropriate resources, leading technical bridges and providing troubleshooting direction. Functioning with great autonomy and independently providing guidance and recommended solutions to complex technical issues within and outside the department.
- Creating data and metric systems to track operational workflows; maintains records of results and feedback. Analyzing data and metrics, identifies problem areas, and provides actionable insight to management.
- Providing input to engineering and vendors on defects and required enhancements. Providing consultative direction and developing long-term objectives and plans. Determining resources, technology, and course of action to achieve results.
- Leading the integration of projects into operations including instrumentation, automation, standardization, and methods/procedures.
- Advocating for internal/external customers' business needs-must influence and drive Comcast executives to make new investments in technology and opportunities. Serving as internal expert within department relative to the most complex development problems and provides solutions which are highly innovative and ingenious.
- Providing functional, team, and program leadership on a regular basis on multiple projects, spanning different engineering disciplines within the organization. Taking the lead on developing new principles and concepts.
Successful candidates for the Architect, Cloud Engineering position should possess broad experience in many of the following areas:
- 10 years of industry experience
- Strong experience operating large scale datacenter environments
- Prior experience in automating deployment & monitoring of servers
- Prior experience leading and managing teams directly or indirectly
- Experience in virtualization technologies
- Experience with AWS and private cloud technologies
- Strong program lifecycle management experience from inception, design, implementation, testing and launch phases, to ongoing operations
- Experience with container technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with configuration management technologies like Ansible, Chef, or Puppet
- Understanding on how to scale applications depending on load
- Understanding of cloud deployment methodologies such as immutable deployments, auto scaling, monitoring of instances that come and go
- Strong experience with log aggregation, analysis and reporting tools such as Splunk, ELK stack, Prometheus
- Experience with cloud monitoring tools such as Datadog, New Relic, Cloud watch
- Good communication skills and ability to clearly articulate complex issues and technologies
- Great design and problem-solving skills
- Willingness to take ownership of problems and see them through to resolution
- Ability to comfortably work in a fast-paced agile environment. Requirements change quickly and our team needs to constantly adapt to moving targets.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer