Comcast Engineer, Software Development and Engineering in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
The Senior Software Support Engineer will actively contribute to the definition, development, integration, test, documentation and support of highly scalable client-server based software applications. This hands-on, customer impacting, position requires broad engineering competence and in-depth technical knowledge of client-server application software development, as well as demonstrated experience successfully prioritizing, planning, organizing and executing software development projects in a fast paced dynamic environment.
Responsible for the triage of reported production software issues, identifying defects, providing well considered patches, as well as determining current limitations and compatibilities between subsystems, selection of new concepts and methodology, preparation of technical requirements and software design specifications and development of major routines and utilities. Will work closely with multiple related yet diverse teams including various contractors and stakeholders (both onshore and offshore) to accomplish high priority objectives with an unfailing focus on customer experience and rapid turnaround.
Employees at all levels are expected to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for howyou do your job
- Own the customer experience-think and act in ways that put ourcustomers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint,and make them promoters of our products and services
- Know your stuff-be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of ourgame-changing technology, products and services, especially our digitaltools and experiences
- Win as a team-make big things happen by working together and beingopen to new ideas
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System-a way of working thatbrings more employee and customer feedback into the company-by joininghuddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to dobetter for our customers
- Drive results and growth
- Respect and promote inclusion and diversity
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and ourcommunities
- Collaborates with project stakeholders to identify product andtechnical requirements. Conducts analysis to determine integrationneeds.
- Designs new software and web applications, supports applications underdevelopment, and customizes current applications. Develops softwareupdate process for existing applications. Assists in the roll-out of
- Trains junior Software Development Engineers on internally developedsoftware applications.
- Oversees the researching, writing, and editing of documentation andtechnical requirements, including evaluation plans, test results,technical manuals, and formal recommendations and reports.
- Keeps current with technological developments within the industry.Monitors and evaluates competitive applications and products. Reviewsliterature, patents, and current practices relevant to the solution ofassigned projects.
- Provides technical leadership throughout the design process andguidance with regards to practices, procedures, and techniques. Servesas a guide and mentor for junior level Software Development Engineers.
- Assists in tracking and evaluating performance metrics. Ensures teamdelivers software on time, to specification, and within budget.
- Works with Quality Assurance team to determine if applications fitspecification and technical requirements.
- Displays expertise in knowledge of engineering methodologies,concepts, and skills and their application in the area of specifiedengineering specialty.
- Displays expertise in process design and redesign skills. Presents anddefends architectural, design, and technical choices to internalaudiences.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in mattersof significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to worknights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- 8 years of Java software development engineering experience.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills: verbal, written, listening, including customer relationships.
- Strong ownership/leadership attitude.
- Experienced design and architecture knowledge, as well as familiarity with object oriented design patterns, Java, client-server / service development including threading (Executor), Queuing, and work with Futures.
- Critical thinker resulting in expert trouble shooting skills with an in-depth knowledge of debugging and logging tools in a multi-threaded environment.
- Experience with highly scalable client-server applications and distributed web service development (must have hands-on experience with RESTful web services).
- Experience with monitoring, telemetry technologies and tools.
- Experience designing, building and supporting APIs for third party consumption.
- UNIX/Linux background.
- Familiarity with Agile development.
- Familiarity with data serialization formats like XML, JSON and protocol buffers.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer