Comcast Network Engineer - Viper DevOps in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
As a Network Engineer for the Viper Operations IP Video team, the candidate will primarily be responsible for the infrastructure and core routing design of all Converged Regional Area Networks (CRANs), National and Regional Data Centers as it relates to the Comcast Viper IP Linear software stack. Additional duties will include advanced performance engineering, monitoring, and integration of IP video on large scale ISP networks.
- Operational support of Data Center and CRAN services across the nation that interconnects with the IP video software stacks.
- Lead efforts to automate internal processes and tools in order to improve overall consistency in routine engineering task execution.
- Develop and/or improve best practices and procedures for network installation, maintenance and operation.
- Create and document all high-level and detailed network designs and operational models with relation to IP Video and Viper operations.
- Model network capacity for failure scenarios to proactively predict routing and topology changes.
- Monitor network capacity, plan and implement market augments as necessary.
- Provide On-Call support, as necessary, focused on isolating and resolving network outages.
Education and Experience:
- Strong understanding of IP Multicast.
- Strong scripting skills desired.
- 8 years of hands-on IP router/switch/ customer premises equipment.
- Strong understanding of the high-level design criteria for managing large data/voice communications networks in a decentralized environment.
- CCNP/CCIP/JNCIP or CCIE/JNCIE certified or equivalent on-the-job experience.
- Expert understanding of IP routing (OSPF, ISIS, and BGP) and switching (Ethernet).
- Specific knowledge of Cisco, Arista, and Juniper routers, especially ASR, MX, NCS and 7600 series is preferred. Broad knowledge of Cisco and Juniper configurations.
- Expert understanding of IPv4, IPv6, Multicast and QOS.
- Extremely organized individual with the ability to manage multiple project, lead and/or participate on multiple project teams.
- Solid business skills to effectively interact with internal business units and external vendors.
- Additional experience in server-based technology, such as Unix/Linux is a plus.
About Comcast VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research)
VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research), is a division within Comcast's Technology and Product Division based in downtown Philadelphia, PA and Denver, CO. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure that's been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer