Comcast Senior Software Engineer in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Senior Software Engineer
As a SeniorSoftwareEngineer working with the Core Application Platforms (CAP) team, you will be responsible for building next generation "application building blocks" to help other teams withfaster delivery of reliable, performant,and scalable software products. In addition to bringing your own software development expertise, you'll be working with and mentoring colleagues at all levels and helping us design and deliver next-generation platforms for successful projects.
CodeBigis an API proxying service that provides rate limiting and authentication services to internal APIs. We've built an in-house solution built on Open Source technologies likenginx,luaand OAuth; which has been broadly adopted within the company. We support over a thousand services, and handle a peak load of over 33,000 requests per second. We're now looking forward to solving challenges like service registry and service discovery at the same level of scale.
We value delivering usable and working solutions now and iterative refinement over holding out for a perfect solution later.
We value attitude over aptitude; no genius jerks allowed.
- We value individuals and interactions over process and tools (yes, weborrowed this one).
- We value using good enough open source software over perfect commercialsoftware.
- We value diversity of opinion over group consensus.
During technical discussions, no one has a title.
We value being able to pursue a plan together over everyone agreeing thatthe plan is the best one.
- We value context and responsibility over management approval andsupervision.
- We start from the assumption that someone, somewhere has already figuredout a solution to this problem; we value using their results overrediscovering them ourselves.
- We value leadership through service over fighting turf wars; we get aheadby helping others succeed.
We value actively and humbly seeking honest feedback overpreserving our egos.
We treat customers as future collaborators rather than as tickets to beclosed.
- We are good listeners, and listen twice as much as we talk. (2 ears, 1mouth)
- We value making decisions with research and reason over tradition or fear; we are fans of the scientific method.
- We value quality of release over speed of delivery.
- We happily teach others the things we have learned.
- Mentoring colleagues at all levels.
- Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation and containerization, and evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- Migrate systems between cloud environments and build mechanisms for automated data center migrations.
- Writing tested, production-ready application code.
- Writing appropriate levels of documentation.
- Operating and supporting production environments (includingon-call support).
- Participating in software release and deployment activities.
- Engage in and improve the whole lifecycle of servicesfrom inception and design, through deployment, operation and refinement.
- Support services before they go live through activities such as system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, capacity planning and launch reviews.
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health.
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems.
- Experience running and designing applications in multiple cloud environments such as Openstack, AWS, GCP, Azure, or Cloudstack.
- Low-level Linux troubleshooting skills.
- Security design at the networking and protocol layers.
- Experience handling datacenter migrations for high-volume applications.
- Interest in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience in one or more of the following: Powershell, Python, Go, Perl, C, C , Java, or Ruby.
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
- Experience with algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis and software design.
- Ability to debug and optimize code and automate routine tasks.
- Bachelors Degree or Equivalent
- Engineering, Computer Science
- Generally requires 7-11 years related experience
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer