Comcast Software Developer in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Do you love to write code? Are you passionate about software craftsmanship? Would you like to work on projects with tangible impact?
As a software engineer in the NGAN Engineering team you will be part of a team that is building next generation access network which will help deliver the services of the future to our customers. The software applications we are building is a containerized, micro service-based, cloud-deployed services. You will work closely with a cross functional team to design, implement and maintain quality software.
- We value mutually respect, and encourage diversity of opinion.
- We value curiosity and experimentation, and strive for continuous improvement.
- We value team cohesion, and strive to keep individual ego in check.
- We value simplicity in our architecture and code, and strive to be detail oriented.
- We value joy in our work, and strive for work-life harmony.
- We value personal and team ownership, and strive for mutual trust.
- We value judicious refactoring, and question the status quo.
- Write tested, production-ready code
- Write appropriate documentation
- Participate in design and architecture sessions
- Support production environments
- Perform code reviews
- Participate in software release and deployment activities managed under an agile software development approach
- Collaborate constructively with team members
- Collaborates with project stakeholders to identify product and technical requirements. Conducts analysis to determine integration needs.
- Designs new software and web applications, supports applications under development, and customizes current applications. Assists with the software update process for existing applications, and roll-outs of software releases.
- Participates in training representatives and operations staff on internally developed software applications.
- Researches, writes and edits documentation and technical requirements, including software designs, evaluation plans, test results, technical manuals and formal recommendations and reports.
- Monitors and evaluates competitive applications and products. Reviews literature, patents and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects.
- Provides technical leadership throughout the design process and guidance with regards to practices, procedures and techniques. Serves as a guide and mentor for junior-level Software Development Engineers.
- Works with Quality Assurance team to determine if applications fit specification and technical requirements.
- Displays in-depth knowledge of engineering methodologies, concepts, skills, and their application in the area of specified engineering specialty.
- Displays in-depth knowledge of, and ability to apply, process design and redesign skills. Presents and defends architectural, design, and technical choices to internal audiences.
- Displays knowledge of, and ability to apply, project management skills.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering.
- Experience in C , Java
- SDN/NFV driven open source project and open standard experience (ONOS, ONAP, ONL, BBF, MEF, ETSI, IETF).
- Open networking, open API (REST/RESTCONF), and open platform development experience.
- Great design and problem-solving skills, with a strong bias for architecting at scale.
- Keen attention to detail and high level of commitment.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced agile environment. Requirements change quickly and our team needs to constantly adapt to moving targets.
- Familiarity with distributed systems and asynchronous messaging.
- Good current knowledge of Unix/Linux environments
- Experience in code optimization and high-performance computing.
- Experience in Test-driven development/test automation, continuous integration, and deployment automation
- Experience with the following: Redis, RabbitMQ, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes.
- Familiarity with data serialization formats like XML, JSON and protocol buffers
- Bachelors Degree or Equivalent
- Engineering, Computer Science
- Generally requires 5-8 years related experience
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer