Comcast Sr. Software Engineer in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
As a Senior Software Engineer working with the Core Application Platforms (CAP) team, you will be responsible for building next generation "application building blocks" to help other teams with faster delivery of reliable, performant, and scalable software products. In addition to bringing your own software development expertise, you'll be working with and mentoring colleagues at all levels and helping us design and deliver next-generation platforms for successful projects.
CodeBig is an API proxying service that provides rate limiting and authentication services to internal APIs. We've built an in-house solution built on Open Source technologies like nginx, lua and OAuth; which has been broadly adopted within the company. We support over a thousand services and handle a peak load of over 33,000 requests per second. We're now looking forward to solving challenges like service registry and service discovery at the same level of scale.
- We value delivering usable and working solutions now and iterative refinement over holding out for a perfect solution later.
- We value attitude over aptitude; no genius jerks allowed.
- We value individuals and interactions over process and tools (yes, weborrowed this one).
- We value using good enough open source software over perfect commercialsoftware.
- We value diversity of opinion over group consensus.
- During technical discussions, no one has a title.
- We value being able to pursue a plan together over everyone agreeing thatthe plan is the best one.
- We value context and responsibility over management approval andsupervision.
- We start from the assumption that someone, somewhere has already figuredout a solution to this problem; we value using their results overrediscovering them ourselves.
- We value leadership through service over fighting turf wars; we get aheadby helping others succeed.
- We value actively and humbly seeking honest feedback overpreserving our egos.
- We treat customers as future collaborators rather than as tickets to beclosed.
- We are good listeners, and listen twice as much as we talk. (2 ears, 1mouth)
- We value making decisions with research and reason over tradition or fear; we are fans of the scientific method.
- We value quality of release over speed of delivery.
- We happily teach others the things we have learned.
- Mentoring colleagues at all skill levels
- Writing tested, production-ready application code
- Writing appropriate levels of documentation
- Participating in joint design and architecture sessions
- Building effective deployment and monitoring systems
- Operating and supporting production environments (including on-call support)
- Performing code reviews
- Participating in software release and deployment activities
- Coordinating constructively with other team members
- 6 years of relevant work experience, including extensive programming experience and strong mentoring abilities.
- Experience in at least 3 of these categories of language families: Object Oriented (e.g. C , C#, or Java), Scripting (e.g. Python, Perl, Ruby, PHP), Systems (e.g. C, golang), and Functional (Lisp, Scala, Clojure, Haskell, F#, ML)
- Experience integrating Open Source tools and libraries to build complete solutions.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience developing service oriented architectures and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
- Experience with high-scale, distributed web service development (hands-on experience with RESTful web services)
- UNIX/Linux background: facility with command command-line utilities; familiarity with system administration tools and concepts a plus.
- Familiarity with distributed systems, asynchronous messaging, and network protocols, especially TLS and HTTP.
- Familiarity with data serialization formats like XML, JSON and protocol buffers
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- We're interested in attracting a diverse set of candidates for this position. If you're not sure if you qualify, please err on the side of applying
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer