Waste Management Senior Collector, Tax Roll in PHOENIX, Arizona
Title: Senior Collector, Tax Roll
Location: United States-Arizona-Phoenix
Job Number: 18003242
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
Researches account activity and resolves past due accounts through extensive contact with customers. This position is given more accountability with customer interaction and related resolution as well as with providing guidance and direction to new and less senior Collectors. Collector Sr. will also be expected to support policies, procedures and change initiatives as needed by management. In addition, a Collector Sr. may be required to assign tasks to team members and ensure the timeline is met.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform a variety of duties associated with improving cash flow and minimizing bad debt write-offs.
- Initiates telephone and/or email contact with internal & external customers with amounts past due, determining reason and arranging for collection or adjustment to correct errors in accounts.
- Negotiates payment plans with customers; follows guidelines for follow-up on payment plans.
- Reviews deadlines for collection action events, initiates collection activities.
- Resolves collection disputes; makes inquiries, researches, and communicates with internal and external customers.
- Performs severance activities after approvals; stop service, cancellation & container removal.
- Maintains records of all delinquent accounts by logging collection notes and dispositioning the Dialer with each contact.
- Performs write-offs, processes payments and recoveries.
- Responds to email and telephone inquiries from customers and interviews customers by phone to investigate escalated complaints.
- Prepares Collection Reports for Supervisor as requested.
- Under direction of Supervisor or Manager, may be required to assign tasks to team members and ensure the timeline is met.
- Performs advanced duties with more accountability and with minimal direction for action and results associated with improving cash flow and minimizing bad debt write offs.
- Evaluates moderately complex customer records and recommends immediate severance activities including stop service, cancellation or write off.
- Works reconciliation of customer records on sensitive accounts by engaging customer and internal WM constituents to work the open issue(s) to resolution.
- Evaluates customer credit limits based on payment history, purchase activity and customer credit reports.
- Responsible for special projects assigned by the Supervisor.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: High School Diploma or GED (accredited)
- Experience: Four years of previous experience in a customer call center or credit and collections role.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- None required.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Basic financial skills including knowledge of commonly used collections practices and procedures.
- Proficient in working on a PC, and competent in the use of Microsoft Office. Full proficiency in Excel, Outlook, and Word.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements rarely;
- Normal setting for this job is: office setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Overtime Status: Non-exempt
Job Field: Accounting/Audit/Finance