Verizon Senior Java GIS Backend Engineer in Portland, Oregon
What you’ll be doing...
What we’re looking for at Skyward, A Verizon Company
You’re passionate and curious about technology, drones, aviation, or all of the above. You have experience with 100% SaaS architecture, peer mentorship, and implementation of Java services. As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will design, develop, and implement new capabilities for the Skyward Platform that scale. You will participate in a collaborative Agile team environment and build features that not only meet customer requirements, but help Skyward encourage best practice in an incredibly innovative industry.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Use Java and related frameworks such as Spring Boot , data stores (Postgres with PostGIS) and message queues to create scalable web services using REST/JSON or other formats (e.g. protocol buffers)
• Participate in agile practices such as standups, estimating, prioritization and retrospectives
• Work with front-end engineers to understand user requirements and provide endpoints that help accomplish building appealing interfaces.
• Collaborate with our Agile teams to evolve architectural patterns that ensure scalable, reusable and quality implementations
• Provide mentorship, guidance, and egoless programming that empowers team members and promotes a strong Agile culture
• Remove technical roadblocks by identifying areas of complexity and implementing architectural improvements that increase performance and lower risk
• Create testable, well documented code; participate in code reviews; troubleshoot and optimize backend performance
• Keep abreast of technology trends and best practices
• Willingness to accept new challenges, assist in troubleshooting issues, and possess the ability to jump into areas that go beyond the code such as builds, branching and Agile process improvements
What we’re looking for...
• Development expertise with a solid foundation in Java (and related frameworks like Spring Boot), SSO frameworks/approaches, and data stores
• Experience with building scalable RESTful web services and processing JSON data
• Experience with continuous integration, including provisioning, deployment, testing and version control
• Experience developing and implementing testing frameworks and best practices utilizing Test Driven Development methodologies
• Experience and a passion for working with Agile teams and evolving our Agile processes
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• 6+ years of full-time professional Java development experience
• 3+ years experience with relational database technologies (Postgres, MySql, etc) including SQL
• PostGIS and Java GIS toolkit experience
• Java, Test-driven development, Software Development Process, Object-Oriented Design (OOD), Software Debugging
• Ability to work in a highly collaborative Agile team
• Demonstrated aptitude and desire to learn new skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to embrace change and work in a fast paced, iterative environment
• Ability to develop an understanding of the commercial UAS marketplace and customers’ needs
• Experience with Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, Docker and Kubernetes
• Experience working in a startup environment and wearing many technical hats
• Demonstrable experience working in a SOA environment
• Exposure to serverless architectures
• Experience flying drones for business or pleasure (Part 107 certification preferred)
• Demonstrated leadership examples such as ScrumMaster or Technical Lead
Keywords: VZConnect, Skyward, Java
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.