Merck Director, Strategic Alliances in Rahway, New Jersey
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Responsible and accountable for ensuring overall successful relationship and contractual management of pipeline enabling alliance programs resulting from Merck Research Laboratories Business Development & Licensing (MRL BD&L) transactions. Responsibility includes engaging internal and partner leaders at all levels to maximally leverage assigned research and development stage alliances for both Merck and its partners. The goal is to enable alliances to deliver results consistent with strategic goals and to enhance Merck’s relationships to secure Merck's reputation as a Partner of Choice.
• Participate in potential partner due diligence and/or late stage negotiations to assess cultural fit, ensure understanding of strategic/critical issues, and provide input into governance/decision-making rights and relevant operational aspects of the agreement.
• Take responsibility for organization of timely and seamless implementation of new alliances at the internal and joint team/governance committee levels through comprehensive kick-off meeting planning and execution.
• Identify and align key stakeholders across internal and partner functions. Ensure alliance governance is established and functions efficiently, consistent with agreement intent; enables joint research and development activities through timely decision-making taking into account necessary linkages to Merck senior management/governance mechanisms.
• Proactively identify and resolve conflicts as needed, or raise conflicts and dispute to appropriate management or committees for timely resolution.
• Facilitate, manage and oversee the scientific and operational relationship between Merck and assigned alliance partners to ensure a productive working environment.
• Provide to each alliance partner an open and continuous channel of communication to ensure partner perspectives are heard and well represented internally.
• Interface strongly with the MRL BD&L and Transaction Legal groups to clarify contractual aspects of collaboration agreements with intent of providing guidance internally to team, committee members and senior management to enhance the value of alliances, ensure appropriate boundaries are set and guide decision-making.
• Support evolution of alliances through their life cycles, including negotiation/drafting of contractual amendments, through management of any necessary agreement terminations.
• Work closely with Finance, Investor Relation, Public Affairs and partners to manage appropriate financial obligations / disclosures material to Merck and/or its partners.
• Contribute to goal of establishing MRL Alliance Management as a learning organization by sharing lessons learned and best practices in alliance management within and across divisional alliance management areas.
• Participate in relevant partnering and/or Alliance Management conferences to represent Merck Alliance Management, contribute to securing Merck’s reputation as a Partner of Choice and identify external best practices for internalization.
• Provide input and contribute to the development of future external partnerships.
Education Minimum Requirement: Bachelor’s degree required
Required Experience and Skills:
• Minimum of 8 years experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry with a minimum of 3 years in the alliance management space.
• Broad understanding of global pharmaceutical and biotech industries with a solid understanding of drug discovery and development processes.
• Superior interpersonal skills and expert team player
• Demonstrated leadership, influence skills, creativity, problem solving and ability to manage complexity in addressing issues within Merck and with outside parties is essential.
• Must have ability to build and manage collaborative relationships at all levels inside and outside of the organization, specifically with senior management.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• Advanced degree (MBA, MS, MD, PhD or equivalent)
• Preferable to have established network in biotech / large pharma
• A minimum of 3 years in an engagement and/or alliance manager role or equivalent relationship management role
• Experience in understanding and interpretation of contractual language
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC Poster at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocselfprint_poster.pdf
EEOC GINA Supplement at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocginasupplement.pdf
OFCCP EEO Supplement at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCPEEOSupplementFinalJRFQA508c.pdf
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of it’s manifestations.
Job Strategic Alliances
Other Locations: NA-US-PA-Upper Gwynedd
Title: Director, Strategic Alliances
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Rahway
Requisition ID: STR000559
- Merck Jobs