Merck Senior Scientist - Packaging Development in Rahway, New Jersey
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Animal Health (MAH) Division works to improve the health of animals around the world through collaborative partnerships and a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and planet. This team of energetic, independent thinkers offers one of the industry’s most innovative portfolios of products, services, and technologies that serve to prevent, treat, and control diseases across all major farm and companion animal species both domestically and internationally.
The Senior Scientist, Packaging Development is an individual contributor in Animal Health Pharmaceutical Sciences. This position focuses on leveraging scientific and technical experience and strong fundamentals to complete assigned tasks for development projects as well as driving potential innovative solutions.
• The Packaging scientist will support packaging activities of project teams by:
Providing technical expertise in the identification, selection, and testing of primary and secondary packaging components, drug delivery devices, and filling/packaging systems for a variety of pharmaceutical dosage forms including solids, semi-solids, liquids and sterile products
Testing as required by regulatory agencies including but not limited to package quality, functionality, extractable/leachables, child resistance, tamper evidence, shipping studies, etc.
Assisting in selecting vendors and developing specifications and release tests for the acceptance of packaging components.
Collaborating in the scale up and transfer of packaging technology and systems to the commercial division.
• The Packaging scientist will provide packaging development support for the development and manufacture of new and/or in-line animal health pharmaceutical products worldwide.
• The Packaging scientist will be a member of the Global Pharmaceutical Sciences department within Merck Animal Health and will be located in the US as part of the Packaging and Process Development Department.
• The Packaging scientist will work closely with Formulation Development and Analytical Development colleagues worldwide and will share accountability for delivery of the pharmaceutical product portfolio.
• This position will also interact routinely with colleagues responsible for commercialization of new products in the Merck Manufacturing Division.
• Collaboration with key business partners in Merck Research Labs (MRL), Merck Manufacturing Division (MMD), MAH, and external development partners (e.g. Contract Research Organizations, CROs) is essential to effectively perform the duties of this role.
Key responsibilities include and are not limited to the following:
• Has knowledge of the scientific/technical concepts in packaging development, applies and furthers those concepts and techniques in pursuit of resolving scientific/technical issues.
• Assesses the application, sharing and retention of cutting-edge techniques or processes within Merck, including those from other industries.
Science with a Strategic Business Focus:
• Understanding of packaging development, including characterization techniques, experimental data analysis and modeling, and statistical and first-principle approaches.
• Stays abreast of new developments in focus areas through review of conference proceedings and technical publications.
• Uses feedback to improve self and to ensure that customer/stakeholder needs are the cornerstone of his/her decisions, expectations are met on a consistent basis, and works with a long-term perspective in addressing customer problems.
• Identifies future trends in the company and industry, and proactively seeks to meet identified future needs through the application of new technologies and strategies.
• Personal drive for results and an ability to deliver on objectives.
• Ability to multitask and prioritize.
• Attention to detail, customer focus, and continuous improvement.
Education Minimum Requirement and Skills:
• Bachelor's degree with a minimum 5 years of related experience, Master’s degree with a minimum 3 years of experience, or Ph.D degree in Engineering, Packaging or related discipline
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• MS/Ph.D. in Engineering or Packaging
• Experience within the Pharmaceutical industry a plus
• Excellent technical communication skills (both verbal and written)
• Knowledge of current US, and Global Regulations, ICH guidance, ISO standards, and quality system regulations for pharmaceutical packaging
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC Poster at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocselfprint_poster.pdf
EEOC GINA Supplement at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocginasupplement.pdf
OFCCP EEO Supplement at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCPEEOSupplementFinalJRFQA508c.pdf
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of it’s manifestations.
Job Pharma Process Development
Title: Senior Scientist - Packaging Development
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Rahway
Requisition ID: PHA001518
- Merck Jobs