Oracle Senior Software Engineer, Spark (JoinOCI-SDE) in Redwood City, California
Senior Software Engineer, Spark (JoinOCI-SDE)
Software Engineer for the Advanced BigData Analytics Service
Cloud Engineering Infrastructure Development
The Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) team can provide you the opportunity to build and operate a suite of massive scale, integrated cloud services in a broadly distributed, multi-tenant cloud environment. OCI is committed to providing the best in cloud products that meet the needs of our customers who are tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges.
We offer unique opportunities for smart, hands-on engineers with the expertise and passion to solve difficult problems in distributed highly available services and virtualized infrastructure. At every level, our engineers have a significant technical and business impact designing and building innovative new systems to power our customer’s business critical applications.
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) is leading the transformation to cloud-native Big Data technologies in our hyperscale, multi-tenant cloud deployed in more than 20 regions worldwide. OCI is committed to providing the best in cloud services that meet the needs of our customers who are tackling some of the world's biggest challenges. We offer unique opportunities for smart, hands-on engineers with the expertise and passion to solve difficult problems in distributed highly available services and virtualized infrastructure.
We’re looking for an experienced engineer with expertise and passion in solving difficult problems in distributed systems and highly available services, who can help in the buildout, and subsequently further development, of an advanced Data Analytics Service, based on Apache Spark and cubing technologies. At OCI, you can help, shape, design and build innovative new systems from the ground up. These are exciting times in our space - we are growing fast, still at an early stage, and working on ambitious new initiatives. Senior engineers at any level can have significant technical and business impact.
From a technology perspective, this is a greenfield development environment with a huge amount of autonomy, leaving us free to build and innovate without being encumbered by legacy products and services. Our, the Advanced BigData Analytics Service, team’s charter is to build a fully managed, cloud native service focused on large scale analytics on (mostly) unstructured data stored in data lakes, and management of the data in the data lakes. The service is based on Apache Spark, Kubernetes, and a number of OLAP extensions on top. The service work scope encompasses not just good integration with OCI’s native infrastructure (security, cloud storage, etc.), but also deep integration with other relevant cloud native services in OCI (like Data Catalog). It includes doing cloud native ways of doing service level patching & upgrades, and maintaining high availability of the service in the face of random failures & planned downtimes in the underlying infrastructure (e.g., for things like patching the linux kernels to take care of a security vulnerability). Developing systems for monitoring and getting telemetry into the service’s runtime characteristics and being able to take actions on the telemetry data is a part of the charter. The platform work involves deep technical deep dives into the various areas - query planning and optimization, query execution, etc., and making the SQL engine really work well in the cloud, and be able to use the cloud’s “infinite” resources and yet be cost effective.
● Work with members of the team and participate in the design and development of key features (e.g., cloud native SQL query optimizations) needed to make the BigData Analytics Service successful
● Support a highly available and resilient cloud service, and build the supporting systems in/outside Apache Spark to be able to deliver on these
● Contribute to the Apache Spark community as necessary
● Experiment with the compute / storage / networking infrastructure as necessary and be able to recommend improvements in the way the service runs in various dimensions of performance, reliability, optimal cost, etc.
● Be on top of what’s happening in the Apache Spark and other related communities, and participate in community discussions, events, conferences, etc.
Desired Skills and Experience
● 4 years of experience in software development.
● Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, & distributed systems.
● Proficiency in Spark development.
● Experience building Services using Spark.
● Strong programming skills in Java
● Development experience using Cloud native infrastructures like Kubernetes
● Experience with database internals and data management
● Take initiative and be responsible for delivering complex software
● Excellent problem solver, analytical thinker and quick learner
● BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical field
● Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
Detailed Description and Job Requirements
Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will assist in defining and developing software for tasks associated with the developing, debugging or designing of software applications or operating systems. Provide technical leadership to other software developers. Specify, design and implement modest changes to existing software architecture to meet changing needs.
Duties and tasks are varied and complex needing independent judgment. Fully competent in own area of expertise. May have project lead role and or supervise lower level personnel. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 4 years of software engineering or related experience.
Oracle is an Affirmative Action-Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veterans status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job: Product Development
Location: US-CA,California-Santa Clara
Other Locations: US-WA,Washington-Seattle, US-CA,California-Redwood City
Job Type: Regular Employee Hire
- Oracle Jobs