CSX Freight Conductor - Rocky Mount, NC in ROCKY MOUNT, North Carolina
Title: Freight Conductor - Rocky Mount, NC
Location: United States-NC-Rocky Mount
Job Number: 045313
Conductors are responsible for the safe and efficient administration of train operations and handling of customer freight.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
$43,000 average first year earnings
You will attend three weeks of training at a company designated facility that may be several hours from your work location. CSX will pay for travel, lodging and meals. You will complete an additional 4 - 22 weeks of on-the-job training at your assigned location.
- 18 years of age or older
- High School Diploma/GED
- One year verifiable work experience or continuous education
- One or more years of outside work exp (e.g. construction, heavy equipment op, farming,etc)
- Experience working in a safety sensitive environment
- Must be able to mount and dismount moving equipment
- Work in cramped, confined, enclosed, or awkward places
- Ride on the outside of rail equipment for long periods of time
- Walk long distances over uneven terrain
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
- Must meet color vision and hearing requirements as described in FRA Regulations
- Frequent lifting up to 50 lbs
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Available to work in the geographic area indicated on the posting
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Wear protective equipment such as hard hat, hearing protection, or safety-toe boots
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work
- Work hours are based on seniority, new hires primarily work nights, weekends, and holidays
- Must be able to report to work safely with two-hour notice
- Complete annual training and pass safety rules examinations
- Federal regulations require random testing for drugs and/or alcohol
- Must pass all required assessments
- Must pass a background screening
- Strict disciplinary policy regarding inability to report to work within proper time frame
- Advance to engineer position when required, based on seniority
- This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement and membership is req.
- Must pass a post-offer medical examination, including a drug test
Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. When a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities. In line with our commitment to safety, the applicant selected for this position may be required to successfully complete medical screenings and a background check.
CSX, based in Jacksonville, Florida, is a premier transportation company. It provides rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services and solutions to customers across a broad array of markets, including energy, industrial, construction, agricultural, and consumer products. For nearly 190 years, CSX has played a critical role in the nation's economic expansion and industrial development. Its network connects every major metropolitan area in the eastern United States, where nearly two-thirds of the nation's population resides. It also links more than 240 short-line railroads and more than 70 ocean, river and lake ports with major population centers and farming towns alike. More information about CSX Corporation and its subsidiaries is available at www.csx.com. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
At CSX, two of our five Guiding Principles are Valuing and Developing Employees as well as Operating Safely. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Click here to view the EEO is Law poster. Here Click here to view the OFCCP pay transparency provision information. Here
CSX Transportation and its subsidiaries are not seeking outside assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from staffing agencies or search firms for employment or contractor opportunities. Any resumes submitted by an outside vendor to any employee at CSX via e-mail, Internet, or directly to hiring managers without a valid written search agreement in place with the Talent Acquisition / HR department will be deemed the sole property of CSX. No placement fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired as a result of the referral, or through other means.