HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Patient Care Tech III - Resource Float Pool - Days w/Weekend Rotation in Round Rock, Texas
The Patient Care Technician performs a variety of basic care services related to activities of daily living under the direct supervision of a registered nurse (RN) and/or licensed vocational nurse (LVN). The Patient Care Technician assists the nursing staff in providing patient care according to hospital policies and procedures. The Patient Care Technician accepts assignments on other units when necessary. The Patient Care Technician assists in maintaining a clean, well organized and adequately stocked patient care unit.
Employee’s conduct must reflect the Company’s values and a commitment to the Code of Conduct ethics and compliance program. Acts with honesty and integrity. Treats colleagues, customers, patients and families with respect, loyalty and dignity.
_ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES_**
- Performs direct patient care:
· Participates in providing direct care as directed, according to standards
· Can work with people from diverse socio-economic backgrounds
· Communicates all findings in the correct/concise/clear written and or verbal format
· Can recognize abnormal findings ie VS, skin changes, I&O, etc. and report findings to the nurse
· Can recognize and respond appropriately in an emergency situation
· Applies knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span to identify patient and family requirements relative to age-specific needs
- Performs indirect patient care: · Can perform skills to support direct car. · Can organize, set priorities and manage multiple priorities · Can adjust to a rapidly changing work environment · Can maintain a clean, well organized and adequately stocked patient care area · Maintains equipment in good working order · Submits requests for repair appropriately · Can input physician orders · Can operate the patient call system · Answers and transfers phone calls. Break down and/or copies charts/forms as needed · Acts as an orientation preceptor for new and cross-training PCT I and PCT II employees · Have knowledge of limited role of medication security, handling, storage and transport of non-narcotic medications under the approval and direction of a supervisor
- Participates in the plan of care: · Is familiar with the plan of care. · Can follow instructions for the care performed. · Communicates to the registered nurse and licensed vocational nurse any data appropriate to the plan of care.
- Provides information to assist in the evaluation of plan of care: · Provides meaningful input to the evaluation · Communicates information to RN and LVN for evaluation of patient care
- Technical skills.(as required by facility/unit/dept.) · All skills on PCT I and PCT II job descriptions · Assists with and performs skilled procedures as delegated by professional staff and physician in accordance with unit’s standards of care. · Demonstrates proficient use of specialized department equipment according to established department standards. · Demonstrates proficiency in patient monitoring while being able to provide a clear/concise report of patient condition and progress to nursing staff, physicians, and oncoming personnel. · Demonstrates proficiency in sterile and aseptic technique, maintains sterile field, and reports any observed breaks in aseptic technique (100% of the time). · Demonstrates proficiency in basic cardiac monitor interpretation and obtaining of a 12-lead EKG, and reports abnormalities immediately to nursing staff and physicians · Provides wound care and demonstrates knowledge of maintenance and treatment. · ED/ICU: Initiates phlebotomy after demonstration of proven competency. · Provides wound care and demonstrates knowledge of emergency burn maintenance and treatment. · Maintains adequate supplies for ED and ICU departments according to established departmental standards. · Assures adequate / appropriate supplies at bedside and in ED/ICU per shift according to established departmental standards and par levels. · Identifies need and completes special ordering of equipment to maintain department care standards. · Maintains inventory of specialized trays per shift as determined by established standards. · Completes unit specific competency and age-specific competency requirements
- Maintains current professional knowledge and skills in accordance with established methods of the department: · Attends 80% of staff meetings · Attends 100% of mandatory meetings and inservices · Demonstrates initiative in independent study and maintains specialty certifications o Participates in department QI activities ED only · Attends basic and intermediate cast clinics as offered in emergency department. · Participates in the education of staff on Hazmat and Emergency Preparedness · Acts as a liaison for all EMS personnel visiting the Emergency Department.
- Appropriately access secured rooms with locked medications storage containers in order to perform assigned job functions, which does not include management of medications.
- Other duties as assigned.
_KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES_**
Must be able to demonstrate understanding of HCA’s and St. David’s “Patients First” safety initiative by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures. Adheres to isolation policies and procedures. Utilizes universal precautions at all times. Works autonomously and with supervision. Interfaces with the public, physicians, staff, patients and administration and ancillary/support department representative. Maintains confidentiality of patients medical records. Regular and predictable attendance is required.
_EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE_
· High School Diploma or equivalent, and · Senior level nursing student or · 1 year experience as a PCT II, CA, NA, or Paramedic o ED/ICU: Completion of an EMT or Paramedic course or crossed trained as a Monitor Tech
Preferred: Prefer at least one experience in an acute care hospital setting and specific experience in the clinical services provided by the unit. Pursuing an undergraduate degree in a healthcare related profession. Completion of a college level Anatomy and Physiology course.
_LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES_
· BLS certification · Certified Nurses Assistant certification o ED/ICU: EMT certification, Paramedic Technology certification and completion of an EKG interpretation course within six months
Job: *Nursing Support
Title: Patient Care Tech III - Resource Float Pool - Days w/Weekend Rotation
Location: Texas-Round Rock-Round Rock Medical Center
Requisition ID: 06240-61047