HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Child Life Specialist - FT, Days in San Antonio, Texas
Full Time - Days
Methodist Hospital opened in 1963 as the first hospital in the now internationally acclaimed South Texas Medical Center. From the beginning, we've recognized the unique needs of each of our patients. It's a process that we continue to improve on, creating ways to better serve the community when they need us the most. With 981 beds, Methodist Hospital offers a broad range of specialties including cardiology, cancer care, bone marrow transplants, emergency medicine, neurosciences, maternity care, gynecology and orthopedics.
As the flagship hospital of the Medical Center and of the Methodist Healthcare system of hospitals, we appreciate the support and recognition we receive from the community having been ranked No. 1 in the Express-News Reader's Choice Awards. We also enjoy being the most preferred hospital in San Antonio, as consistently reported by the Consumer Research Corporation. Methodist Hospital has been nationally recognized by Leapfrog’s Hospital Safety Grade A, accredited by the Joint Commission in stroke care, and designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center. For more information, please visit our website atwww.sahealth.comand select Methodist Hospital under Locations. **
General Statement of Duties: The Child Life Specialist plans and provides therapeutic activities and appropriate psychosocial/developmental care for pediatric and adolescent patients and families, to assist them in effectively coping with stress and anxiety of health care experiences, and in cooperation with other members of the health care team, integrates therapeutic interventions with overall care and treatment of patients.
*Essential Job Functions:
- Assesses patients and facilitates play interactions with regard to developmental level, interest, capabilities, life situations, special concerns, and stress vulnerability potential related to illness, injury and health care. Documents assessments when appropriate.
- Institutes an individualized program of activities and/or behavioral strategies as needed for patients in consultation with nursing staff and other involved members of the health care team. Participates in patient’s discharge planning as appropriate.
- Provides play opportunities and other therapeutic interventions to promote understanding and prepare patients for health care experiences, to foster growth and development, and prevent adverse consequences of hospitalization.
- Provides procedural, emotional and bereavement support to patients/families. Assess needs for outpatient psychosocial care and recommends referrals.
- May manage a volunteer service program to support Child Life Program activities.
- Serves as a clinical resource to pediatric staff, parents, volunteers, students, and other hospital staff in areas where children are treated. Provides interdisciplinary in-service education on child development, child life, and the impact of illness, injury and health care on patients and families.
Minimum Education, Experience, Training, Required Knowledge, Skill, Abilities and Other Job-Related Characteristics:
Education *Required*: Bachelor’s degree in in child life, child development, child and family studies or related field.
Preferred: Master’s Degree in child life, child development, child and family studies, or related field.
Experience *Required*: Completion of a Child Life internship from an accredited Child Life program is required.
Preferred: At least two-years clinical experience as a Certified Child Life Specialist
Minimum License, Certificates, or Registrations Required: Certification by the Child Life Council within six months of hire date.
Title: Child Life Specialist - FT, Days
Location: Texas-San Antonio-Methodist Hospital
Requisition ID: 02531-87223