Verizon Junior Network Operations Engineer in San Jose, California
What you’ll be doing...
Junior engineer with technical skills approaching those of staff engineers. Responsible for incident response and resolution, including documentation and customer interface. Responsible for analysis activities in regard to network security operations, and may, at times, be asked to assist with authorship activities. Maintains system of 24x7 network operations under the guidance of management and more senior engineers, with daily activity including, but not limited to, station logging, ticket audits and administration, NMS audits, network monitoring, incident response and escalation, help desk responsibilities, and circuit research. Regularly attends training and completes development assignments aimed at technologies for network operations, network engineering, and network security operations. Makes some decisions independently during incident response and change management activity.
Completes network operations tasking as follows:
• Regularly attends in-house training used to provide both formal and informal instruction in regard to operations, engineering technology, and security.
• Monitors the network operations environment and promotes situational awareness among NOC personnel. Supports and, at times, independently leads administration efforts regarding communications systems, ticketing database content, network management platforms, and shared logging applications. Supports project efforts regarding these systems.
• Maintains trouble tickets according to established guidelines, standards, and procedures. Ensures all content accurately reflects all incident response efforts. Working with senior engineers, determines the next-steps involved in incident response.
• Supports and, at times, independently conducts change management (CM) activity pertaining to operational networks, systems, and equipment using established tools and processes. Completes assigned CM tasking and documents all efforts within documentation systems.
• Independently monitors network management system (NMS) platforms to ensure the health of operational services, networks, devices, and components. May, at times, perform independent NMS administrative functions. Continually studies and performs, on the job, standard operating procedures with the goal of attaining mastery.
• Responsible for incident response, both proactively and reactively, as a result of network, system, or service anomalies. Supports and, at times, independently manages the fault isolation and resolution process. As related to incident response, supports all planning and response efforts and independently leads communication, often working with external work centers, vendors, and customers.
• Continually trains on network-related technologies and hardware with the goal of attaining mastery. Maintains basic working knowledge of network-related technologies (e.g., TCP/IP, HSRP/VRRP, dynamic routing protocols, static routing best-practices and methodologies, BFD, IPSec, access control, VoIP, switching, VLANs, VTP, STP, etc.) and network hardware (e.g., SOHO & enterprise routers, such as Cisco 2800 series, Cisco 7200 series, Juniper M-series, and Juniper T-series routers; layer 2 & layer 3 switches, such as Cisco 2960, Cisco 3550, and Cisco 6500 series switches; network security platforms, such as IDS/IPS, Cisco ACS, and Juniper SRX equipment; TDM/OTDM multiplexers, such as Fujitsu optical platforms; telephony systems, such as Avaya VoIP platforms; and digital cross-connect platforms).
Completes network engineering tasking as follows:
• With minimal direction, performs simple system health checks on web servers and database systems (e.g., MSSQL, MySQL, etc.) in order to ensure the systems run smoothly.
• Supports SQL server and web tool projects related to the storage, organization, and presentation of data.
• Working with senior engineers, trains on web server and database systems with goal of attaining system mastery.
Completes network security operations tasking as follows:
• Independently monitors SIEM for security events and configures system views, as necessary, to maintain visibility of security anomalies that could develop into security incidents
• With minimal direction, performs simple analysis of security incidents
• Independently administers security incident documentation
• Working with senior engineers, trains on SIEM and other security systems with the goal of attaining system mastery
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
Bachelor’s degree or one or more years of work experience.
One or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in engineering or technology, including studies related to computer networking and/or telecommunications, and some experience in a technology focused career field.
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.