American Water Utility Person in Sea Cliff, New York
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Water Plant Operations: Performs activities including, but not limited to, operating and monitoring well stations and pump equipment, adding and adjusting chemicals, reading flow meters and gauges, testing water chemistry, checking and lubricating equipment, and collecting and recording operational information. Duties also include operating various mechanical equipment operating treatment facilities, answering telephones and plant house-keeping and general care of the facilities and grounds.
• Meter Service operations: Some of the duties include meeting customers; reading, setting and removing meters, performing inspections for high bills, and performing plumbing inspections, check for cross connections. Shop test removed water meters and new water meters and maintain test records and logs.
• Distribution System Operations: Among other duties, performs outside physical labor related to the installation and maintenance of all types of piping, fire hydrants, services, and appurtenances, flushes water mains. Functions in the capacity of back up to the Sr Utility Person when not available and oversee contractor staff during water mains and service installations.
• Performs activities including, but not limited to, adding and adjusting chemical treatment systems, reading meters and gauges, making chemical tests, greasing and oiling equipment. Operating of company water filtration and treatment plants.
• Receives and supervises water treatment chemical deliveries.
• Determines if machinery and equipment are operating properly and, where necessary, makes immediate minor repairs.
• Work in a safe manner and in accordance to all safety rules.
• Computer literate and able to learn and work with company computer systems and software. Able to read instrumentation and water quality equipment.
• General background of main pumping station operation.
• Basic operating knowledge of pumps, motors, water treatment, and other miscellaneous equipment related to the operation of pumping stations.
• High school diploma.
• Experience working with pumps, motors, water treatment, and other miscellaneous equipment related to the operation of pumping stations.
Licenses & Certifications
• A NY State Health Department Grade 2B Water Operators License preferred or to obtain within specified time frame.
• Must become certified by PSC staff in meter testing.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing*™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants* based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.