CSX Environmental Specialist II in SELKIRK, New York
Title: Environmental Specialist II
Location: United States-NY-SELKIRK
Job Number: 044965
Interact with managers and employees in all departments to maintain compliance with environmental regulations. Responsible for inspections, training and best management practices related to environmental regulations such as the Clean Water Act, Oil Pollution Act, Clean Air Act, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and other federal, state and local regulations. Responsible for operation of wastewater treatment facility and wastewater discharge, monitoring and compliance.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Account for regulatory compliance and inspections that fall under the Clean Water Act, Oil Pollution Act, Clean Air Act, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and other federal, state and local regulations
- Operate wastewater treatment facilities
- Repair, clean and operate wastewater treatment facility equipment
- Manage environmental projects such as property clean up, collection system clean up, wildlife/pest control, and capital projects
- Facilitate the disposal of hazardous and non-hazardous wastes
- Assist with fixed facility spill response and other environmental incidents
- Meet with regulatory agency representatives and CSX operating personnel regarding environmental compliance issues
- Provide training to internal personnel relating to environmental regulatory compliance
- Miscellaneous activities and responsibilities as assigned by manager
Training Rate - $30.14 per hr plus $1.00/hour differential
- High School Diploma/GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver's License
- 3 years experience with environmental compliance issues
- Possess a current Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator License or Certification
- Five years of experience in wastewater treatment or environmental compliance
- Medium work, depending on location, lifting up to 50 pounds
- Exposure to equipment that intensifies the heat factor on an occasional basis
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Mechanical aptitude
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
- Wear protective equipment such as hard hat, hearing protection, or safety-toe boots
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work
- May work directly or indirectly with hazardous materials
- Extensive travel required
- Complete annual training and pass safety rules examinations
- Must pass a background screening
- Must pass all required assessments
- Federal regulations require random testing for drugs and/or alcohol
- Must pass a post-offer medical examination, including drug and physical capabilities test
- This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement and membership is req.
Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. When a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities. In line with our commitment to safety, the applicant selected for this position may be required to successfully complete medical screenings and a background check.
CSX, based in Jacksonville, Florida, is a premier transportation company. It provides rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services and solutions to customers across a broad array of markets, including energy, industrial, construction, agricultural, and consumer products. For nearly 190 years, CSX has played a critical role in the nation's economic expansion and industrial development. Its network connects every major metropolitan area in the eastern United States, where nearly two-thirds of the nation's population resides. It also links more than 240 short-line railroads and more than 70 ocean, river and lake ports with major population centers and farming towns alike. More information about CSX Corporation and its subsidiaries is available at www.csx.com. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
At CSX, two of our five Guiding Principles are Valuing and Developing Employees as well as Operating Safely. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Click here to view the EEO is Law poster. Here Click here to view the OFCCP pay transparency provision information. Here
CSX Transportation and its subsidiaries are not seeking outside assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from staffing agencies or search firms for employment or contractor opportunities. Any resumes submitted by an outside vendor to any employee at CSX via e-mail, Internet, or directly to hiring managers without a valid written search agreement in place with the Talent Acquisition / HR department will be deemed the sole property of CSX. No placement fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired as a result of the referral, or through other means.