Waste Management Field Chemist or Sr. Field Chemist - South Gate, CA in SOUTH GATE, California
Title: Field Chemist or Sr. Field Chemist - South Gate, CA
Location: United States-California-South Gate
Job Number: 18003144
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
Will work indoors and outdoors at plants, facilities and customer sites throughout S. California, and, on occasion, N. California, to identify, segregate, and package hazardous/non-hazardous waste. This is not a laboratory based position.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned and may vary by location.
- Ensuring that Health and Safety is the number one priority by complying with all safe work practices, policies, and processes and acting in a safe manner at all times
- Responsible for collecting, identifying, segregating, and packaging hazardous/non-hazardous waste produced within customer facilities
- Preparing waste containers for pick-up and delivery
- Complete necessary project paperwork
- Develop good client relationships
- Attend “Job-walks” with sales reps and quote potential field projects
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree (accredited) in Chemistry or other natural science.
- Experience: Five years of relevant work experience, as a field chemist, (in addition to education requirement).
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Valid driver's license
- OSHA HAZWOPER 40 hour certification or ability obtain
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Ability to drive to multiple client sites, using company pick-up truck or box truck
- Ability to travel overnight as required by customer projects
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of all federal, state, and local laws and regulations pertaining to the storing, segregating, packaging, transportation, and disposal of hazardous waste.
- Prior lab packing experience required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.)
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects up to 50 pounds.
- Required to stand, bend, and stoop throughout workday.
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.), part of the workday
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Overtime Status: Exempt
Job Field: Operations