Indian Health Service Environmental Engineer in Spokane, Washington
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
About this position. This Environmental Engineer position is located in the Portland Area Indian Health Service, Office of Environmental Health & Engineering, Division of Sanitation Facilities Construction (SFC). This position is located in Spokane, WA. As an Environmental Engineer in SFC, you will be responsible for the planning, design and construction of sanitation facilities (water supply, sewage disposal, and solid waste disposal facilities). Facilities range from simple systems serving one home to moderately complex systems that serve an entire community. These positions report to the District Engineer.
This is a time-limited Term appointment is not-to-exceed 2 years witha possible extension of an additional 2 years for a total appointment not-to exceed 4 years. The appointment is time-limited because the need is for project works.
Salary Range:: GS-7 - $46,609 - $57,364 GS-9 - $57,015 - $70,173
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Learn more about this agency
- Evaluate existing sanitation facilities (water, sewer and solid waste) identifying deficiencies and prepares engineering studies and reports.
- Prepare project summaries, environmental reviews and feasibility studies.
- Collect information necessary to prepare construction drawings including topographic surveys, soils sampling and analysis, and engineering calculations (hydraulic, structural, soil percolation and drain field design).
- Review schematic, construction and planning drawings and constructions specifications.
- Review, evaluate and oversee the inspection of construction activities for conformance to contract documents.
- Provide technical assistance to Tribes and other utility organizations.
50% or less - Occasional travel o Overnight travel 1-5 nights per month.
- #### Job family (Series)
0819 Environmental Engineering
- Engineers, Environmental
- Engineers, Soil
- Environmental Engineers
Conditions of Employment
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
- ESEP appointees typically serve a two year trial period.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date:
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
Basic Requirements - Education In order to qualify for this position, you must meet the Basic Requirements for professional engineering positions. Be sure to provide supporting documents to support you meet the Basic Requirement. This requirement can be met in several ways. A. I have a degree in professional engineering from a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum. B. I have a degree in professional engineering that includes differential and integral calculus and courses in at least 5 of the following 7 areas: (1) statistics, dynamics; (2) strength of materials; (3) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (4) thermodynamics; (5) electrical fields and circuits; (6) nature and properties of materials; (7) any other comparable area of engineering science or physics. C. I have a degree in professional engineering from a foreign institution that has been accepted as equivalent to a conventional U.S. higher education program. D. I have a combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelors degree in engineering as demonstrated by my current registration as a professional engineer by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico. E. I have a combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelors degree in engineering as demonstrated by passing the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) examination or the written test required for professional registration; and, completion of a bachelors degree in engineering technology (BET) from an accredited college/university that included at least 60 semester hours/90 quarter hours in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences. F. I have a combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelors degree in engineering which includes at least 60 semester/90quarter hours in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences that included differential and integral calculus. All courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of a professional engineering curriculum. G. I have a combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelors degree in engineering that includes a bachelors degree in a related curriculum (engineering technology, physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology), AND at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance.
Minimum Qualification, GS-07, Environmental Engineer In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements for this series, your experience, education or combination of education and experience demonstrates your ability to perform the work of this position at the GS-07 level as described below: * Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector that equipped me with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position. This experience must be related to the work of the position and equivalent to at least the GS-05 level in the Federal service. Examples of specialized professional experience that meet this requirement include: assisting registered Professional Engineers (P.E.) in the fields of civil and/or environmental engineering, performing duties such as evaluating existing sanitation facilities to identify deficiencies; collecting data regarding flow rates, pressure and velocity using engineering equipment; evaluating soils according to standard soil classification systems; writing technical reports for review or editing by the supervising P.E. OR * A copy of your college transcripts must demonstrate you possess a Bachelor's degree with Superior Academic Achievement. One of the following three needs to be met for Superior Academic Achievement: (1) Class Standing- upper third of the graduating class. (2) Grade-Point Average- 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 as recorded on official transcript, or based on courses completed during final 2 years of curriculum; OR 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 based on average of required courses completed in major, or required courses in major completed during the final 2 years of curriculum. (3) Honor Society Membership- election to membership in a national scholastic honor society. OR * A copy of your college transcripts must demonstrate you possess at least one full year of graduate level education in a related field. OR * Your resume and copies of your college transcripts must demonstrate you possess a combination of graduate level education and specialized experience that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
Minimum Qualification, GS-09, Environmental Engineer In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements for this series, your experience, education or combination of education and experience demonstrates your ability to perform the work of this position at the GS-09 level as described below:. * Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector that equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position. This experience is related to the work of the position and equivalent to at least the GS-07 level in the Federal service. Examples of specialized professional experience that meet this requirement include those described in GS-07 above and: preparing engineering calculations for water flow and pressure in closed conduits and preparing open-channel flow calculations for sewer pipelines; selecting pressure rating and/or pipeline material based on engineering calculations, selecting and specifying pumping equipment based on engineering calculations; calculating chemical feed rates for specifying water treatment equipment; writing technical memos, preliminary engineering reports, and feasibility studies for finalization by the supervising P.E OR * A copy of your college transcripts must demonstrate you possess a master's degree OR equivalent graduate degree OR 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree in a related field. OR * Your resume and copies of your college transcripts must demonstrate you possess a combination of graduate level education and specialized experience that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
Selective Placement Factor In addition to the minimum requirements, Applicants must meet the following Selective Placement Factor in order to be considered for this position and provide proof of meeting this requirement with your application packet
- You must possess a bachelor's degree in an engineering field of study that provides knowledge of civil and environmental engineering concepts, principles, and practices to identify water, sewer, and solid waste sanitation facilities deficiencies and to prepare engineering studies and reports. Major Fields of study that are acceptable include a degree in Civil Engineering or Environmental Engineering, or other engineering degrees that includes a core curriculum in water, sewer, and solid waste sanitation facilities. Applicants who do not meet a Selective Placement Factor are ineligible for further consideration.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave is earned.
Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required.
This position has promotion potential to the GS-09 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.?
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- This position is covered by Public Law 101-630, the Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Protection Act (25 United States Code Chapter 34) requiring contact or control over Indian children. Due to this law, the agency must ensure that persons hired for these positions have not been found guilty of or pleaded nolo contendere or guilty to certain crimes. IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications required and on the extent to which your application shows that you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with this position. To determine if you are qualified for this position, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against the qualifications as defined in the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement and your responses to the assessment questions. You will be further evaluated/rated based on the information provided in your resume (your resume must state specific duties that relate to this position) and your responses to the assessment questions to determine your competency in the following:
- Interpersonal Skills
- Project Management
- Quality Ranking Factor
- Technical Competence
You will receive a numeric rating based on your responses to the assessment questionnaires. If after reviewing your resume and responses to the assessment questions, a determination is made that you have overstated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration.
The following links below provide information on how you may be eligible for various hiring authorities. If you are a Veteran, qualified CTAP and ICTAP eligible, or an individual with a disability, please refer to the following links below for additional guidance: * Veterans , i.e. (VEOA, VRA, and 30% or more disabled) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide/ * Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) - https://www.ihs.gov/jobs/supporting-documents/permanentDocs/ctap.doc * Interagency Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ * Schedule A Appointments for the Disabled - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/disability-employment/hiring/
Click here to view vacancy questions:https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10153906 . All documents above MUST be received by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date of 03/30/2018, to be considered.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Required Documents
Required Documentation for Eligibility and Preference:
- Resume: You are highly encouraged to use USAJOBS Resume Builder to ensure all required information is included in your Resume. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that includes beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed, annual salary, and description of job duties. Include name and address of employer; supervisor name and telephone number.
- Indian Preference Applicants: If claiming Indian preference, applicants must provide a completed copy of the Form BIA-4432, "Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only." Indian preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated form is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA Official of tribal enrollment records. For detailed instructions, see form BIA-4432. Refer to BIA-4432 link: http://www.bia.gov/cs/groups/xois/documents/document/idc1-029504.pdf. When an Indian Preference candidate possesses Veterans' preference the rules regarding Veterans' preference apply under ESEP and the applicant must provide documentation in order to receive preference.
- Veterans Preference: If claiming Veteran's Preference provide a copy of your DD214 Form (Member 4 copy). To claim 10-Point Veteran's Preference, submit a SF-15 Application (http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdffill/SF15.pdf) along with the appropriate supporting documentation. For additional information regarding Veterans Preference visit: www.fedshirevets.gov
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP):If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP, follow the instructions below: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctapguideline.pdf.
- Current or former Federal employee: Include your most recent SF50 or if Reinstatement eligible include your Career SF-50.
- Noncompetitive eligibles:submit additional documents to prove your eligibility to apply to this vacancy.
- College Transcripts - must be provided if substituting education for experience for this position. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable, but official transcripts will be required before entrance on duty. Your application package MUST be complete by 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) on 03/30/2018, the closing of this announcement.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below. Click 'Apply' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. 1. Follow the prompts to upload required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire. 2. Please ensure you click the 'Submit Application' button to submit your application. 3. Applications must be received by the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration. 4. Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Home, then click the Job Title to expand the details. Return to an incomplete application by clicking Apply Online in the vacancy announcement and re-selecting your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account.
The IHS provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office (Margaret Witt, (503) 414-7732, and/or Margaret.Witt@ihs.gov.) The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
For additional questions please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) found here: https://www.ihs.gov/jobs/index.cfm?module=faq
Agency contact information
Portland Area OEHE Group 1414 NW Northrup Street Suite 800 Portland, OR US
Learn more about this agency
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJobs account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJobs that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJobs Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
**If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed are received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer **
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/492890400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 03/02/2018 to 03/30/2018
Salary: $41,365 to $53,773 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 7 - 9
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Term