Waste Management Landfill Operations Manager in SURPRISE, Arizona
Title: Landfill Operations Manager
Location: United States-Arizona-Surprise
Job Number: 18005436
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
Ensures the highest standards of environmental safety and operational excellence by effectively managing the day-to-day operations of the landfill.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Ensures smooth operation of landfill: ongoing construction, permitting, leachate/gas management.
- Minimizes operational costs while maximizing productivity and maintaining safety and environmental compliance.
- Continually works to reduce turnaround time for trucks in and out of site.
- Accurately tracks waste volume and weight.
- Acts as a liaison, where necessary, for community relationships.
- Actively monitors ongoing permitting issues.
- Complies with and ensures adherence to Waste Management’s Mission to Zero standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient operations.
- Meets all financial review dates and corporate directed programs in a timely fashion.
- Oversees personnel needs of the department including selecting, coaching, and training employees and evaluating employee performance. Provides input into termination, compensation, and promotion decisions.
- Assists in the budget process as required.
- Ensures the cleanliness and maintenance of the physical property of the landfill through inspections and preventive maintenance programs with supervisors/employees.
- Conducts and/or attends and contributes to periodic safety meetings to maintain favorable working relationships among employees and promote maximum morale, productivity, and efficiency.
- Provides training and presentations as needed in a positive and professional manner.
- Updates and submits required reports in a timely manner.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
The highest level of supervisory skills required in this job is the management of supervisory employees. This includes:
- Direct supervision of 15 full-time employees, including:
- Indirect supervision of additional full-time employees.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor's Degree (accredited), or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and 4 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience: 7 years of relevant work experience (in addition to education requirement).
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- None required.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- None required.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: landfill.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on Pension, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Overtime Status: Exempt
Job Field: Operations