Farmers Insurance Commercial Underwriter II in Tigard, Oregon
We are Farmers!
Join a team of diverse professionals at Farmers to acquire skills on the job and apply your learned knowledge to future roles at Farmers. Farmers Insurance also offers extensive training opportunities through the award winning University of Farmers named by Training magazine amongst top 10 corporate training units in the world.
/ A minimum of one year of commercial underwriting experience is required for this role /
Want to learn more about our culture & opportunities? Check out farmers.com/careers and be sure to follow us on Instagram and LinkedIn !
Responsible for profitable growth of small commercial Property/Casualty and Workers Compensation business through proper selection, classification and pricing of risks within assigned territory/industry.
- Evaluates commercial business for risk acceptability - matching price to exposure, loss frequency and severity for profitability, and rating plans/modifications for renewal retention.
Establishes collaborative relationships with Agencies to understand the external marketplace and underwrites within established performance standards and priorities that are responsive to marketing, underwriting, retention and service goals.
Essential Job Functions
Accepts, modifies or rejects risks based on a review of business in terms of loss experience, inspection reports, file information, web resources, policyholder tenure, related policies, and nature of risk in accordance with company guidelines, standards and compliance with state laws.
- Provides documentation for any exceptions to established guidelines and critical account information relating to the final underwriting decision.
- Verifies coverage eligibility. Interprets policy contract language/forms and uses approved classification systems, rating plans and selection standards to determine eligibility, desirability and proper classification/pricing. Effectively communicates decisions and resolves agent/customer concerns promptly.
- Provides technical assistance to internal and external customers regarding coverage interpretations, policy and endorsement provisions, and underwriting acceptability for commercial property/casualty and workers compensation coverages.
- Develops collaborative working relationships with assigned agents providing customer service that meets or exceeds service level standards.
- Includes effective communication through phone calls and email to gather and analyze necessary information critical to the underwriting process and occasional field visits, to create new business opportunities and improve policy renewal retention.
- At direction of the Team Manager, Evaluates unprofitable books of business, agents or districts. Assists in developing plans to improve profitability. Informs team Manager of weakness in coverage and/or products that are adversely impacting growth potential. Gathers pertinent competitive information to assist in developing recommendations to product development.
- Provides support in a mentoring role to other team members within the commercial department, providing underwriting philosophy, guidance and training on transactions that exceed team member authority levels.
Assists in educating agencies on products, services, automation, and underwriting standards as well as sales and cross selling techniques to promote accomplishment of our corporate goals. Maintains underwriting quality standards May be required to work outside of core business hours depending on business needs Performs other duties as assigned.
Required job duties include sedentary work as well as some or all of the following physical activities; lifting and/or carrying 40-lbs (suitcases, projectors, handouts, laptop computer, etc.), seeing, speaking, hearing, and occasional operation of a motor vehicle.
Required job duties are normally performed in a climate controlled office environment, with occasional job duties performed in company car, airplane, hotels and various physical sites dictated by travel that are not always in a climate controlled environment.
High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. AU or CIC designation or completion of sections 500/510, 520 or 530 of CPCU courses preferred.
One to four years insurance industry related experience in personal lines policy service/support, personal lines underwriting or policy service/support, Claims or agency sales/service position or, One to two years of commercial underwriting experience.
Special Skill Requirement
Knowledge of management information and business systems (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access). Must be detail oriented and accurate; demonstrate organizational skills and flexibility; ability to perform general mathematical calculations; ability to work in a fast paced environment be team oriented and have a consistent commitment to excellence. Analytical thinking skills to make timely, appropriate decisions and recommendations after reviewing all relevant information. Technical expertise in commercial risk selection and pricing. Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated presentation skills. Ability to successfully interact with the agency force to grow business while at the same time maintaining underwriting discipline. Ability to read and interpret policy contract language. Working broad-based knowledge of relevant insurance laws and statutes; the contract issue process, computer systems, competitors products and marketing practices. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all functions, physical demands and skills required of personnel so classified.
Farmers is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce.
Organization: *Farmers Insurance
Title: Commercial Underwriter II
Requisition ID: 190009AC